X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Commission votes against budget engine idea

Spoiler
    The Formula 1 Commission has voted not to pursue the idea of an alternative budget engine at this stage, according to governing body the FIA.

The cost of a customer supply, believed to be in the region of 20million euros, has been a cause of concern since the new 1.6-litre V6 engines were introduced at the start of 2014.

Since Ferrari vetoed plans last month to cut the cost of customer engine deals from around 20million euros to 12million euros, the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone proposed a cheaper alternative, with performance equivalence to ensure a level playing field.

Earlier this month, the FIA asked for expressions of interest to supply a budget engine and it has emerged there are four "credible" proposals, two of which are believed to be AER and Ilmor.

AER engine 'fits' FIA requirements

However, following a meeting of the Strategy Group in Paris on Tuesday, followed by an F1 Commission meeting, the idea has now been put on the backburner.

Instead, the manufacturers - working with the FIA - will produce a proposal by January 15 2016 that provides solutions to concerns over the power unit, which will focus on:

- Guarantee of the supply of Power Units to teams
    - The need to lower the cost of Power Units to customer teams
    - Simplification of the technical specification of the power units
    - Improved noise

The FIA added that the decision to not pursue the budget engine may be reassessed after the manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group.

Within the proposal, there will be a rule that stipulates a minimum number of teams a manufacturer must supply, ensuring all teams have access to an engine.

It is hoped these developments will be ready for the 2017 season at the earliest and certainly in time for 2018.

The first meeting between the FIA and the manufacturers with regards engines will take place at this weekend's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
    LINK

Merc braced for ‘biggest test yet’ in 2016
    Spoiler

They are still on a high after successfully defending their titles in 2015, but Mercedes are bracing themselves for what will "undoubtedly" be their "biggest test yet" in 2016.

Mercedes have swept all before them since the introduction of the V6 turbocharged power units in 2014 with the team claiming 31 victories in 37 grands prix and taking pole position in 35 of those races.

Naturally it meant back-to-back doubles with Lewis Hamilton winning the 2014 and 2015 Drivers' Championship and Merc securing consecutive Constructors' titles.

Ferrari, though, have made up some ground and Merc non-executive chairman Niki Lauda believes the Scuderia's power unit is now at the same level as that of Mercedes.

Although they remain the team to beat, Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff feels they will have a big battle on their hands come 2016.

"We can all be extremely proud of what we have achieved in 2015," he said. "To raise the bar from 2014 was always going to be a huge challenge – but everybody at Brackley, Brixworth and Stuttgart has taken on that challenge exceptionally well.

"While we celebrate a job well done this time around, however, the next challenge will be upon us before we know it. 2016 will undoubtedly provide our biggest test yet as a group."

LINK

Ecclestone: Rossi would have been "disqualified for sure" for Marquez clash in F1

Spoiler
    Bernie Ecclestone claims that Valentino Rossi would have been “disqualified for sure” if the controversial clash between the Italian and Marc Marquez at Sepang had taken place in Formula 1.

Rossi and Marquez came to blows at Turn 14 during the Malaysian race as Rossi tried to run his rival out wide, making contact and causing Marquez to crash.

He was handed three penalty points for his part in the incident, relegating him to the back of the grid for the Valencia finale, but was able to keep his points for finishing third.

Ecclestone thinks that MotoGP race direction was not harsh enough to Rossi, and says that the 36-year-old would have been shown the black flag had such an incident occurred in an F1 race.

"What happened is completely wrong," Ecclestone told Gazzetta dello Sport. "It is a warning for F1.

"Let me give an example. Let's suppose that Ferrari is in the running for the title and Mercedes blocks them with one of its customer teams, what would happen?

"Rossi would have been disqualified for sure. He would have had a black flag."

Right to stay in MotoGP

Some years ago, Rossi famously flirted with the idea of an F1 switch, even going so far as to take part in a number of tests with Ferrari in 2006 before ultimately deciding to remain in MotoGP.

Ecclestone has no doubts that the seven-time premier class champion made the correct decision.

"He had a couple of chances [to come to F1]," he said, "but he was at the peak of his MotoGP career.

"In Formula 1 he would have started afresh, with many doubts. He did well not to change."
    LINK
    Last edited by Dule Krtola; 25-11-15, 10:26.

Comment

• Ovaj nije normalan, jel ovo neki ruzan san ili stvarno predlaze gume kao 2012 ?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121968

Comment

• U ovoj F1 sve budale do budale..

Comment

• Honda issues hamper Stoffel Vandoorne's maiden Super Formula test

Spoiler
          McLaren junior Stoffel Vandoorne got a taste of what he missed at McLaren this season after Honda engine issues hampered his maiden Super Formula test.

Vandoorne, the newly-crowned GP2 champion, looks unlikely to step up to the F1 grid next season with limited seats available and McLaren retaining Jenson Button alongside Fernando Alonso for another year. McLaren is keen for him to drive in a series away from F1 next year after having former reserve driver Kevin Magnussen stuck on the sidelines for most of 2015.

But in an ironic twist to Vandoorne's first day behind the wheel of a Super Formula car on Wednesday, a Honda engine issue disrupted his first day with Docomo Team Dandelion. Honda's return to Formula One with the Woking team this year has been littered with reliability issues and a lack of performance compared to its rivals.

Despite the issues Vandoorne said he enjoyed the day and is hoping to gain more Super Formula experience in the future.

"It's been a fantastic day for me, my first time in a Super Formula car," Vandoorne told the series' official Facebook page. "It was also a new track for me and I really enjoyed my time here. It's been a bit of a difficult day for us with engine problems in the morning. I did not do so many laps in dry conditions but I think our pace looked pretty good before the failure.

"In the afternoon, the conditions were quite difficult. It rained then it stopped, so it was really tricky. I think we managed it quite well though. I'm looking forward to putting everything together and hopefully having another go in one of these cars."

Vandoorne finished the day 17th in the standings. He will sit out Thursday's test as he is due to fly to Abu Dhabi for the final two GP2 rounds of the season.
          LINK

Celis has one eye on 2017 Force India race drive

Spoiler
          Mexcian teen Alfonso Celis Jr believes he can be a contender for a 2017 Force India seat after being confirmed as development driver for the team in 2016.

Ahead of his first appearance with the Silverstone-based team in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the 19-year-old spoke exclusively with Motorsport.com about his new role.

"I am really pleased to be able to announce this," said Celis. "We have been speaking since almost the beginning of the year.

"Then I started working with them, doing the simulator work, after which they decided that I was able to be the development driver for 2016.

"And if I perform well, I could be a [race] driver in the 2017 season."

As part of the deal, Celis will take part in the Abu Dhabi testing and also seven free practice sessions in 2016.

When asked about which Grands Prix he will appear in, he said it was yet to be decided, but hoped to drive in his home event in Mexico.

Happy to start with Force India

The Abu Dhabi test will be Celis' first outing with a F1 team, although he has already undertaken work at the Force India factory.

"I have been working with the team in the simulator but not on the actual race track, so I am really excited for Abu Dhabi," he said.

"The Grand Prix will give me the opportunity to take part in the briefings, the track walk and be involved in all plans for the weekend.

"It will be an amazing way to be with the team in a Grand Prix and see everything from the outside and also have the opportunity to drive in the same track."

Celis added: "They are professional people, they listen to my comments and are open.

"They want to improve and are performing well, always trying to be better each time and that’s the way to be if you want to be one of the best. I am just really impressed and I have learnt a lot from them."

Focus on Formula 3.5 V8 for 2016

This year, Celis combined driving for ART in GP3 with competing in Formula Renault 3.5 for the AVF squad, placing 16th in the latter and currently sitting 12th in the former with a round to go.

But for next year, Celis will only compete in the renamed Formula 3.5 V8 series with AVF along with his F1 commitments, ruling out GP3 as well as GP2.

"I want to focus only on [F3.5 V8] and be able to challenge for the title," he said. "Having done GP3 this year and 3.5, I don’t think I need to do GP2.

"As I am doing free practice, I want to be fully committed to F1 whenever I have the FP drive, and then I have my weekends in 3.5, so I can be fully committed to that."
          LINK

MALLYA CONSIDERING RETIREMENT

Spoiler
          Beleaguered businessman Vijay Mallya has hinted that retirement could be just around the corner.

The former billionaire is once again in the headlines at present, amid financial troubles for his non-F1 interests including the grounded airline Kingfisher.

And Mallya, 59, has also admitted talks with Aston Martin and Johnnie Walker about a deal involving his F1 team Force India, although he insists he wants to stay in the paddock.

But he told Indian publications on Wednesday: “I am not retiring quite yet, but as I said once you are sixty years old you must start thinking of, you know, enjoying life. So what is wrong in me thinking (about it)?”

He turns 60 in December.
          LINK

Mercedes junior Pascal Wehrlein open to GP2 if unable to land Manor drive

Spoiler
          Mercedes test driver Pascal Wehrlein is open to a season in GP2 if he is unable to secure a seat at Manor for 2016.

At 21 years old Wehrlein became the youngest driver to win the DTM championship this season but finds F1 opportunities limited going into next year. Only Manor is yet to confirm its line-up for 2016 and Toto Wolff has warned Mercedes cannot secure the German driver a seat despite the fact the minnows will become an engine customer next year.

Wehrlein is open to a season in F1's feeder series, as well as another year in DTM to defend his crown, if he is unable to land a Manor drive.

"In the end it's also my decision but there are a few options," Wehrlein told F1i. "In the end we have to sit together and decide what is the best option. For sure if there is a Formula One cockpit ... there are not many left so it should be clear which team it would be. If there is one left it would be a great chance and I would look forward to that but if not there would be a few options: DTM, reserve driver, maybe some more testing, maybe GP2.

"There would definitely be a few options and then we have to sit together because then it's not so easy. But if there's a chance in Formula One then it is easy."

Wehrlein says it is difficult to make a decision on what he would do if a Manor drive was not forthcoming, seeing benefits in both GP2 and DTM.

"That's the problem, there are so many options. For example GP2 would be good because I would be travelling to most of the races together with Formula One, I'm learning the Formula One tracks and I'm back in a single-seater. But also for sure DTM is great and I would love to drive DTM again so in the end it is a very tough decision." LINK

Comment

• New resolution reached on future F1 power unit supply

Spoiler
            A new course of action to address several key areas relating to the supply of power units in Formula One racing has been agreed by the Formula One Strategy Group and the F1 Commission.

Engine manufacturers, acting in conjunction with governing body the FIA, have agreed to provide a proposal that will seek to address several points, including agreeing a minimum number of teams to supply - thereby ensuring every team has access to a power unit - and reducing the cost of power units.

The developments outlined in the proposal, which will be presented by 15 January 2016, are intended to come into effect for the 2017 season at the earliest, or the 2018 season at the latest.

The FIA said that plans for a reduced-cost customer engine for 2017 had attracted four interested, credible parties, but that the option would not be pursued - with the situation to be reassessed after proposals from the engine manufacturers had been presented.

The FIA's statement in full:

The Formula One Strategy Group and the F1 Commission yesterday held separate constructive meetings at the FIA's headquarters in Paris.

The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One. These areas are:

- Guarantee of the supply of Power Units to teams

- The need to lower the cost of Power Units to customer teams

- Simplification of the technical specification of the Power Units

- Improved noise

The manufacturers, in conjunction with the FIA, will present a proposal by 15 January, 2016 that will seek to provide solutions to the above concerns.

The proposal will include the establishment of a minimum number of teams that a manufacturer must supply, ensuring that all teams will have access to a Power Unit.

Measures will also be put forward to reduce the cost of the supply of hybrid Power Units for customer teams, as well as improving their noise.

All stakeholders agreed that the developments will aim for the 2017 season at the earliest, and 2018 at the latest.

The first meeting between the FIA and the Power Unit manufacturers on this topic will be held this week at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Yesterday's meetings acknowledged the four credible Expressions of Interest made for the manufacture and supply of a less expensive alternative customer engine.

The F1 Commission agreed not to pursue this option at this stage – however, it will be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group.
            LINK

The Fia has planned "open" the engine Mercedes and Ferrari in December in order to control them and confirm their legality.

Sauber announces partnership with CNBC for 2016

Spoiler
            The Sauber F1 Team is pleased to announce CNBC as a Premium Partner for the 2016 FIA Formula One Championship. CNBC is the leading global broadcaster of live business and financial news and information. This is the first time the Sauber F1 Team has partnered with an international broadcaster.

CNBC and the Sauber F1 Team will use the global Formula One media platform to maximise their potentials, as well as to reach a broader audience around the globe. The CNBC branding will appear on the rear wing end plates of the Sauber C35, on the drivers’ overalls of Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr, as well as on the team’s clothing.

To launch the partnership with CNBC, the logo will be visible on the rear wing end plates of the Sauber C34-Ferrari during the 2015 Formula One season finale at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this weekend.

Monisha Kaltenborn, Team Principal of the Sauber F1 Team:
            “CNBC and the Sauber F1 Team have many common values such as accuracy, speed and credibility. Both companies maintain these values on a global level. It applies to both of us that we face a tough competition in our field with the objective being perfection. These similarities build a strong basis for a solid partnership.”

KC Sullivan, President and Managing Director of CNBC International:
            “This partnership joins two organisations with strong heritage and exceptional ambition. Working with the Sauber F1 Team, CNBC is joining a family of professionals and corporate partners committed to the standards of excellence and performance that elite sports demand.”

LINK

Kimi Räikkönen hopes he and Ferrari will be able to fight for world titles in 2016

Spoiler
            Kimi Räikkönen is optimistic that he and Ferrari will be able to fight for world titles in 2016, providing the team can make another sizeable improvement over the winter.

Ferrari endured a challenging start to the turbo V6 era in 2014, recording just two podiums finishes and slipping to fourth in the standings before Fernando Alonso's exit.

But gains over the winter saw it emerge as Mercedes' nearest challenger in 2015, form which has yielded three race victories, courtesy of new arrival Sebastian Vettel.

Räikkönen, who has two podiums to his name this year, hopes a similar step forward from 2015 to 2016 will give Ferrari a chance to claim its first world title since 2008.

"We're going to give our best, and hopefully it's enough to fight for championships," he said.

"If we keep on improving, and if we keep doing the things that we've done from last year to this year, then hopefully it's enough to be where we want to be.

"We can promise a lot of things. Is it going to happen? Who knows? I really hope that we will come back strong… well, stronger next year than this year."

After a mixed 2015 season, which has featured five retirements, Räikkönen admits there is more he can do on a personal level to ensure that Ferrari returns to the top.

When asked to sum up his own season, he said: "Pretty average. Better than last year, but still far away from what it should be – that is life and next year try again.

"It's not been the easiest year, but that's how it goes.

"We've improved a lot from last year, but we're still not happy. When I don't finish five races… many races out of those we've done, you don't expect to be very high up.

"We have to improve, and I'm sure we can still improve it."
            LINK

Fernando Alonso: A lot of expectation at McLaren

Spoiler
            Fernando Alonso is expecting a "completely different" showing from McLaren next season but stopped short of predicting a title tilt or even race wins.

This year, the first back with Honda power, has been a trying one for McLaren and their engine partner.

Reliability has been sorely lacking which has hampered the team's effort to build up speed.

As such McLaren-Honda head into the season finale ninth place in the championship with just 27 points to their tally.

But despite the difficult season that the team has endured, Alonso is adamant 2016 will be better.

"It's a guess where McLaren-Honda can be next year," he said.

"There is a lot of expectation in the team. We have worked hard all season, united in some difficult moments and always moving forward.

"I think for 2016 the main goal for the team is to come back to where we belong, being competitive, fighting for the top positions.

"I don't know if that means fighting for world championships, I don't know if it means fighting for victories or just being on podiums.

"It is always difficult to know in the complex world of F1. We have big challenges ahead in the winter, and I see all the things we have done in the last couple of months.

"It seems logical and positive. I am sure of a completely different season next year and I am happy with the focus."

Should McLaren finish year down in ninth place it will be the team's worst showing in the championship since 1980.

And Alonso concedes that taking eighth off Sauber, who are nine points ahead, is not a feasible target.

"I think it's unlikely," he said.

"They are nine points ahead. We have scored points three or four times only this year. To score as many as 10 in one race is a bit difficult.

"We will try to do our best, try and perform and have a good weekend but our minds are on next year's project.

"Half of the car is next year's parts and philosophy.

"So I don't think we need to worry about beating Sauber this weekend."
            LINK

Manor, Williams, Sauber announce new partners; Red Bull extends multiple deals

Spoiler
            This weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix may be the final hurrah for the 2015 Formula 1 season, but that has not stopped a number of teams from announcing new partnership deals in the days leading up to the race.

Manor, Williams and Sauber all revealed on Thursday the arrival of new partners for the final race of the year, while Red Bull confirmed the extension of three sponsorship deals.

Williams’ new partnership is with investment management company Winton, and will see its logos appear on the wing mirrors of the FW37 car and in the team’s garage over the Abu Dhabi weekend.

“There is a natural synergy between both organizations with a shared emphasis on using scientific data collection and analysis to improve performance,” a team release said, with deputy team boss Claire Williams adding: “Williams is pleased to welcome Winton as a partner. We will be working closely together at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to help Winton understand the power of Formula One to help it raise global awareness.”

Manor confirmed just five minutes after Williams’ announcement that it had signed a partnership with Shazam, a music identification app. Shazam will become the British team’s official music partner for the 2016 season.

“This partnership will form a key strand within the team’s enhanced fan engagement strategy, targeting Formula 1 fans and broader audiences,” a release said. “The companies will engage race fans and the general public, with the growing team, its drivers and its portfolio of challenger brands, all through the power of music.”

The team also said that it would mark “an exciting new collaboration at the intersection of sport and music”. Shazam will enjoy branding on the side of the Manor cars in Abu Dhabi.

Red Bull has confirmed the extension of three partnerships with Siemens, Oz Racing and Sabelt, acting as further signals that the team will be racing in F1 next year.

Sauber has also announced the striking of a deal with CNBC, which has become a premium partner of the team ahead of the 2016 season.

According to the team release, “CNBC and the Sauber F1 Team will use the global Formula One media platform to maximize their potentials, as well as to reach a broader audience around the globe.

“The CNBC branding will appear on the rear wing end plates of the Sauber C35, on the drivers’ overalls of Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr, as well as on the team’s clothing.

“To launch the partnership with CNBC, the logo will be visible on the rear wing end plates of the Sauber C34-Ferrari during the 2015 Formula One season finale at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this weekend.”
            LINK
            Last edited by Dule Krtola; 26-11-15, 16:47.

Comment

• Sta se dogadja sa Alonsom, hoce li voziti dogodine?

Comment

• I sam Alonso je rekao da ovo sa Meklarenom dugoročni plan. Tako da i bez toga vjerujem da će voziti. Nije im ovo prvi ispad. Prije nekoliko su rekli da će stići Ferari, kad ono nisu stigli ni Sauber. Tako da malo marketinga.
                Barem ja na to tako gledam.

Comment

• To verovatno ni on ne zna...

Comment

• Izgleda je ono izmedju Feraria i Hasa dozvoljeno, tako kaze Al Kapone zvani Berni.

Comment

• Ferrari says Mercedes actions were fair

Spoiler
                      Maurizio Arrivabene says Mercedes was 'fair' in its approach to the FIA to clarify a series of rules which could have potentially seen it come under strict scrutiny for its close relationship with incoming team Haas F1.

Ahead of the season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Mercedes sought to clarify a series of rules and regulations regarding bodywork design, data sharing, wind tunnel use and acceptance of entries, regarding them to be 'ambiguous' and therefore open to interpretation.

Core of the argument was the classification of when a team is regarded as an entry, a thinly veiled argument against Haas - which has developed its team around a close technical partnership with Ferrari - and the suggestion its rivals could have circumnavigated regulations regarding two-way development since Haas is not considered an 'entry' yet.

The subsequent ruling found that the FIA will close the perceived loophole by regarding any potential team as an 'entry', thus bringing it into line with regulations and restrictions. However, it also ruled that this has not retrospective bearing, so Haas or Ferrari would not be punishable.

Whilst Mercedes maintains the clarification was not specifically targeted at Ferrari and was more over whether it could also capitalise on the loophole, Arrivabene says he is satisfied with the outcome of the ruling and does not blame his rivals for the approach.

“We were absolutely transparent, we provided all the papers to the FIA step by step,” the team principal said. “We get it, so there is nothing wrong because we were transparent. I think the other guys were asking fair questions, if the FIA need to change the regulations we more than support it, it's absolutely fine.”

Had the FIA been satisfied with the original rules, Mercedes it would prompt an 'arms race' between top teams developing a second team for the predominant purpose of development. Even so, Mercedes has suggested it was willing to go ahead with this using its engine customers, with suggestion new client Manor could be branded as a second 'AMG' team.

Izvor: crash.net

ECCLESTONE SURE LOTUS WILL CEASE RACING WITHOUT RENAULT DEAL

Spoiler
                      Formula 1 Supremo Bernie Ecclestone does not believe the Lotus F1 Team will be on the grid in 2016 should the proposed deal with Renault fall through.

Ecclestone has been in talks this past weekend in Abu Dhabi with Renault Sport executive Jerome Stroll about the future income for the team should the Enstone team again become a works Renault outfit.

Lotus Team Principal Gerard Lopez has spoke about the possibility of the team using Mercedes power in 2016 should the Renault deal collapse, but Ecclestone does not believe the team’s finances will allow them to return to the grid without Renault.

“I’m sure they’ll stop,” said Ecclestone to Motorsport.com. “They are running a business unsuccessfully, they haven’t got enough money to keep going.

“So they’ll stop. They’re in trouble with finance anyway, so I can’t see that a Mercedes contract is going to help.”

Izvor: thecheckeredflag.co.uk

Smedley: Bottas saw Button too late

Spoiler
                      Rob Smedley has all but put the onus on Valtteri Bottas for his pitlane clash with Jenson Button in Abu Dhabi.

Chasing fourth place in the Drivers' Championship on Sunday, Bottas' race was undone as he was released from his Williams pitbox moments before Button entered his.

As the McLaren driver turned in he was clipped by Bottas with the end result being a broken front wing for the Finn and a race spent lapping near the back of the field.

However Williams's head of performance engineering Smedley says the pit crew released Bottas at the "right point", he just didn't see Button.

"We'll have to analyse it and understand exactly what happened," he told Autosport.

"We released him at the right point but unfortunately he saw the McLaren too late.

"When he saw Jenson, he braked, but Jenson was in the part of the road that he was going to.

"We have a signal to the drivers that tells them traffic is approaching and they need to stay on the right-hand side or further towards the slow lane.

"He did that, but they just had a coming together because he saw Jenson too late."

Izvor: planetf1.com

HORNER CONFIRMS KVYAT WILL BE WITH RED BULL IN 2016

Spoiler
                      Daniil Kvyat does not have to worry about his future at Red Bull according to team boss Christian Horner.

“Of course I was relieved when I heard it,” Kvyat said in Abu Dhabi. “But as long as there is instability, it means that at one race you’re happy and at the next you’re not.”

But Horner reiterated that Red Bull has secured an engine supply for 2016, will be staying in F1 and lining up with Kvyat and Daniel Ricciardo.

“Everything is clear,” the Briton added. “He (Kvyat) has a contract and next year he will be with Red Bull Racing. I have just been with the team and told them that they did a good job this year.”

Izvor: grandprix247.com

HORNER: RON DENNIS WON’T BE VERY HAPPY WITH OUR ENGINE

Spoiler
                      Uncertainty has morphed back into mystery as Red Bull’s Formula 1 engine crisis races beyond the season finale’s chequered flag in 2015.

Amid the Abu Dhabi floodlights, F1 legend Niki Lauda confirmed that he tried to help the energy drink company by initially shaking hands with Dietrich Mateschitz on a Mercedes engine deal.

“The fact that a competitive team like Red Bull cannot find a formula one engine is wrong,” he told Welt am Sonntag newspaper. “And the fact that Mercedes doesn’t deliver them an engine was not my idea.

“It is not my competitive mentality, in the idea that to win you have to beat everyone. But there were other opinions,” said Lauda. “I accepted that.”

What will happen next for Red Bull is actually once again a complete mystery, even though it had seemed clearer that the team would simply press Renault to fulfil an existing contract for 2016.

The French carmaker, however, has not even decided if it is staying in F1 at all.

“Wait and see what it [Red Bull’s 2016 engine] is called,” Red Bull boss Christian Horner said late on Sunday in Abu Dhabi.

“It will be something quite good. I don’t think Ron Dennis will be very happy, but he hasn’t been very happy recently,” Horner told the BBC.

Horner’s quip about Dennis is despite the fact that his McLaren counterpart wielded a veto that prevents Honda from supplying a customer engine to Red Bull.

“It (the veto) was fully supported by Honda,” Dennis said in Abu Dhabi, “but in the end someone had to stand up and say ‘This is not going to happen’.”

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko, however, said in Abu Dhabi: “Honda has made a big commitment financially and building wise.

“And from what I see they are learning from their mistakes, so I can imagine that we will see a completely different picture of Honda next year,” he told F1’s official website.

Another theory floating around amid the post-race parties in Abu Dhabi is that it will in fact be Mercedes who jump to Red Bull’s rescue if Renault does pull the plug.

“Your crystal ball says that?!” Toto Wolff exclaimed to the BBC’s Eddie Jordan. “Renault has a contract with Red Bull for next year, and that is what we are all pushing hard for.”

POLITICS TAKES CENTRE STAGE AS F1 SEASON COMES TO AN END

Spoiler
                      Formula 1 drew its 2015 world championship season to a close amid the spectacular Abu Dhabi night skyline but the distinct smell of political controversy filled the night air in the five star Yas Marina paddock.

“There is a lot of self-interest and a lot of desire for power,” summarised F1 legend Niki Lauda.

Lauda, a triple world champion, doubles as a co-owner and chairman of the dominant Mercedes team, amid rumours that all is not well in his current relationship with fellow silver-clad bigwig Toto Wolff.

The pair dismissed those stories this weekend, and in fact were also hand-in-hand last week regarding the F1 Commission, when the proposed ‘cheap engine’ for 2017 was thrown out.

“It was not about costs or anything like that,” Lauda told the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag. “Such a massive intervention in the current rules was like a bad joke. The background was political power.”

Some might say it was F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt who were trying to flex their muscles amid the power currently wielded by Mercedes and Ferrari.

“I perceived the whole discussion as unnecessary and stupid,” Lauda continued. “If you have a sport in a negative trend, you cannot correct it by manipulating. If you try that, after two years you have nothing left at all.”

And so in the end, compromise was the order of the day, with the powerful carmakers agreeing to think again about the current rules in time for 2018.

On that front, Lauda agrees: “The smaller teams must be able to afford the engines. We have to help them.”

His Mercedes colleague Wolff agrees: “I’ve always said that it is right for the FIA to want to lower the price of the engines for the medium and small teams.

“That’s perfectly fine,” he told the German news agency SID. “These engines we have now may be complex, but they are state of the art. Can we make it more favourable for the small teams?”

“We are working on that. Can we also work on the entertainment factor and the sound of the engines? Yes, we should,” added Wolff.

WHO CALLED HAMILTON’S STRATEGY IN ABU DHABI?

Spoiler
                      At the 2015 season finale Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Mercedes powered to a 16th victory of the season and with it their 12th one-two finish of the season yet there were mixed signals coming out of the Silver Arrows camp regarding who actually called Lewis Hamilton’s strategy on the day at Yas Marina Circuit.

Hamilton claims that he left the strategy up to the team, while team boss Toto Wolff insists that the team gave the F1 world champion freedom to call his game plan. So which is it?

During the race Rosberg from the lead was the first to stop for tyres, with Hamilton in the box a lap later. During this stint Hamilton closed to within a second of Rosberg.

When Rosberg pitted for a second set of tyres, Hamilton stayed out and was being reeled in at about half a second a lap before he made his final stop ten laps after his teammate.

But instead of emerging on the quicker super-soft compounds, the team bolted on a a set of yellow band soft tyres, however at this point the number 44 was a dozen seconds adrift of the lead and although Hamilton chased hard, it was Rosberg’s victory.

After the race Hamilton told media, “You have to rely on the engineers to give you the optimum strategy at that point. Honestly I don’t really understand it, I came out 11 seconds behind and had a mountain to climb and then the tyres went off.”

When asked why he did not opt for the super-soft option tyres, Hamilton claimed, “I let the team make the call as I didn’t know what was the right one.”

This explanation is at odds with what team boss Wolff who said, “We gave him all the options this race and the tyre choice.”

“It was an off-set strategy and it was worth consideration,” added Wolff. “Go a bit longer, see how that pans out and then if you could have made that tyre last he could have gone on the option [tyre] and that would have been a real go to win the race. But the tyre wouldn’t [last] and so it went into the third-best option.”

The team told Sky Sport after the race that they did give Hamilton a choice of tyres but he didn’t respond, which in turn made them go conservative to ensure he would make it to the finish without any stress.

At one point Hamilton was toying with the idea of going to the end with second set of tyres, and asked over the radio, “If I back off now and look after these tyres to the end, how much time would I need to slow?”

The team informed him that his idea would not work and he insisted they do the maths to make 100% sure. Which they did – it was not an option according to the clever chaps on the pit wall.

In the end Hamilton had to settle for second behind Rosberg, “The gap was way too big, we left it too big, particularly on the same tyres there is no way you are going to be able to catch that gap up.”

“It is a shame because I was quicker in the middle stint so to have that pace and then come out 11 seconds behind is not a good feeling,” mused the triple F1 world champion.

Red Bull: Engine deal not at risk if Renault pulls out

Spoiler
                      Red Bull insists its deal to run unbranded Renault power units is not at risk even if the French car manufacturer decides to pull out of Formula 1.

Following a weekend of intense talks between Renault representatives and Bernie Ecclestone to try to resolve remaining differences over a commercial rights package, a decision on the company's future in F1 is expected within the next 48 hours.

If Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn is satisfied with the package that has been put together, then he will green-light a takeover of the Lotus outfit to resurrect a works outfit.

If, however, he believes the programme does not make sense for his company, then he could order it to shut down its F1 project altogether.

Contract in place

While Renault quitting could potentially have an impact on Red Bull's engine programme, team boss Christian Horner is adamant that the two elements are not linked.

"We have a contract for an engine, the details of which I hope to be able to announce within a week," said Horner.

When asked by Motorsport.com about if a Renault withdrawal could open up the danger of his engine deal being pulled too, he said: "We have got a signed contract.

"There has obviously been an awful lot of activity over the past weeks. I am not at liberty to say what that activity is, but it will all come out in the wash."

He added: "We are not in a position to announce what our engine is, but the situation is clear: we have an agreement for next year. The unfortunate thing is that I would like to be able to tell you what that is, but unfortunately, today I cannot."

Chassis push

Although Red Bull's decision to pursue the Renault path – after failed attempts to get deals with Mercedes, Ferrari and Honda – has come late, Horner is hopeful that its 2016 chassis design has not been compromised too much.

"We have designed four different variants of it," he said. "Inevitably that has put some delay into the process, but with next year being relatively static in rules, it is very much an evolution.

"For sure it has made the timescales much tighter, but the whole team in Milton Keynes has done a super job in working tremendously hard long hours and trying to get us back on to schedule."

Izvor: motorsport.com

Comment

• Pirelli F1 test day times:

1. Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1m44.103s 99
                        2. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m44.456s 56
                        3. Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1m44.480s 50
                        4. Jolyon Palmer Lotus 1m44.568s 90
                        5. Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1m44.940s 56
                        6. Pascal Wehrlein Mercedes 1m45.605s 107
                        7. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1m45.805s 57
                        8. Max Verstappen Toro Rosso 1m45.849s 54
                        9. Nico Hulkenberg Force India 1m45.852s 71
                        10. Valtteri Bottas Williams 1m45.940s 103
                        11. Daniil Kvyat Red Bull 1m46.309s 48
                        12. Carlos Sainz Jr Toro Rosso 1m46.995s 56
                        13. Adderly Fong Sauber 1m48.439s 57
                        14. Alfonso Celis Jr Force India 1m48.545s 65
                        15. Rio Haryanto Manor 1m49.593s 56
                        16. Jordan King Manor 1m49.661s 59

Comment

• Arrivabene satisfied with campaign

Spoiler
                          Scuderia Ferrari principal Maurizio Arrivabene is satisfied with the progress made by the team during the past season, despite finishing well behind Constructors' champions Mercedes.

Ferrari could only muster three wins throughout their campaign, one more than the initial target set by the team earlier this season and one short of what Arrivabene would have considered a highly successful campaign.

"When you are not winning the championship, you cannot say the mission is completed," Arrivabene told Motorsport.com.

"But we had at the beginning of the year a mission that was quite tough, and I think I am a mountain guy in the end," added the Ferrari boss, making reference to a bet he made if the team managed four wins for the season.

"I was more than happy to go up there. But it is okay, also, like this. As I said before, I need to thank all the guys [at Ferrari] because they were doing an amazing job," he said.

What this campaign has essentially meant is that Ferrari were the main challengers to the Mercedes throne this year and that is a platform Arrivabene is confident his team can build on.

"Since the first test, we have some good feeling. But the mountain to climb was really big," explained Arrivabene.

"And the overall theme, not only for the guys here, but the drivers, the guys in Maranello, is they accept this and they were climbing the mountain. But when we get to the top we discovered that somebody else got there before us."

Izvor: motosport.com

RED BULL POWERED BY TAG-HEUER EMERGES AS AN OPTION

Spoiler
                          McLaren has fired the opening salvo of its effort to fight back in 2016 by topping the 12-hour post-season tyre test in Abu Dhabi.

It was new reserve and reigning GP2 champion Stoffel Vandoorne at the wheel of the Honda-powered car that has otherwise proved abysmally uncompetitive this year.

But the beleaguered, once-great British team’s former double world champion Mika Hakkinen backs McLaren to bounce back.

“It’s about experience. That counts in my opinion,” he told Gulf News. “If you’ve never won a grand prix, never been on pole position or won a world championship, you don’t know how to get there. The teams that have been there, they know the road how to get there.”

But the Finn thinks McLaren will have to take more short-term pain in order to achieve long-term gain.

And that pain looks destined to keep hurting team supremo Ron Dennis both on track and off, who after refusing to alter McLaren’s sponsorship “rate card” has had to farewell several backers.

One of them is TAG-Heuer, and speculation is that the long-time McLaren backer will now take over the naming rights to Red Bull’s 2016 engine.

“I don’t think Ron Dennis will be very happy”, Christian Horner said in Abu Dhabi.

The tension between Dennis and Horner was reportedly also evident at the recent F1 Commission meeting, when the former told the Red Bull chief to “suck it up”.

Dennis’ harsh advice to Horner comes amid Red Bull’s struggle to simply secure any sort of engine deal for 2016, even with struggling Honda following a veto.

“Some of what Christian has been experiencing at the moment is self-inflicted,” Dennis told the British broadcaster Sky.

RENAULT CHIEF SET TO CONFIRM F1 FUTURE THIS WEEK

Spoiler
                          Tuesday or Wednesday have been tipped as the most likely days for Renault to announce its decision to stay in formula one next year and beyond.

That is the claim of Austria’s Kleine Zeitung newspaper, reporting that after four meetings between Group Renault marketing chief Jerome Stoll and Bernie Ecclestone in Abu Dhabi, a positive outcome was finally reached.

The report said: “Ecclestone agreed to make special payments to the French, although not quite as high as had been requested. We have learned that Renault can live with the compromise, which must still be approved by (CEO) Carlos Ghosn.”

The deal between Ecclestone and Renault will not only show the green light to the Lotus buyout, but also the 2016 engine deal for Red Bull, including the involvement of Ilmor chief Mario Illien.

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko confirms: “It looks good that the agreement that we have, with whoever it is, can be announced during the (current) week.”

He also said the former quadruple world champions have hope that “We can be somewhat competitive and take another step closer” to the front of the grid in 2016.

Lead driver Daniel Ricciardo is quoted by Tuttosport: “It is good news that it (the engine question) is finally resolved.”

As for the likely competitiveness of next year’s engine, following the disappointments of the past two years, the Australian added: “I’m sure the (Red Bull) team knows what it’s doing. I think if they had the feeling that it would be another season like this, they would not have decided to keep going.”

IS 2016 THE YEAR OF TRUTH FOR FERRARI?

Spoiler
                          When Ferrari puts its 2016 challenger on track in February, the entire world of Formula 1 will wonder if it can be a Mercedes-beater and arguably the keenest observers of all will be the partisan Italian press.

“2016 is the year of truth,” declared La Stampa newspaper. “The Scuderia has one last step to get back to the top.”

After two years of utter Mercedes dominance, the F1 world has been micro-analysing Ferrari’s resurgent form this year. In Brazil two weeks ago, the red team appeared to now be tantalisingly close. But then in Abu Dhabi, Mercedes flexed its full muscle again.

“Maranello should be very concerned,” Corriere dello Sport said after the weekend’s season finale, “because the superiority of Mercedes is still very strong.”

La Stampa continued: “When the Mercedes drivers start from the front and make no mistakes, they are invincible. The question now is whether three winter months is enough for Ferrari to close that gap.”

Even boss Maurizio Arrivabene admits that, despite Ferrari’s impressive resurgence this year, there is no guarantee the team will be closer next year, “But one year ago it seemed like mission impossible. Now we know that it is possible.”

Sebastian Vettel, who won three times versus Mercedes combined sixteen in 2015, also acknowledged that while Ferrari has made steps in 2015, “The last step is the hardest”.

F1 veteran David Coulthard agrees that Mercedes’ current level of dominance is almost “unprecedented”.

“People thought Red Bull was bad, but it was all tight margins,” he told the Telegraph. “This is something else. I do not even remember Ferrari in the early 2000s enjoying such a significant pace advantage.”

MARKO: 2016 WILL BE A YEAR OF TRANSITION FOR RED BULL

Spoiler
                          The 2016 season will be a “year of transition” for Red Bull’s two F1 teams, official Helmut Marko has declared.

“We are keeping both teams in Formula 1,” he announced in Germany’s Sport Bild.

The energy drink company’s road to 2016 has been long and complex, with Red Bull expected to use Infiniti-branded Renault power while Toro Rosso switches to 2015-spec Ferrari engines. But then in 2017, it will be all change.

To coincide with the introduction of radically faster chassis regulations, F1’s governing FIA and Bernie Ecclestone are pushing ahead with plans to sign up an exclusive supplier of alternative twin-turbo V6 engines to arrive in 2017.

The tender process was launched on Friday, with interested parties like Ilmor or Cosworth invited to apply by 23 November. The first customer in line is Red Bull.

“2016 will be a year of transition for us,” said Marko. “In 2017 we expect the alternative engine. Both Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone have assured us. It will be cheaper and make us independent from the car manufacturers.”

Red Bull is therefore putting itself strongly on the side of the FIA and Ecclestone, with the ‘client engine’ plans opposed staunchly by the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes.

“It (the alternative engine) was the condition for us to stay in formula one,” Marko admitted to Auto Motor und Sport.

The next strategy group meeting is scheduled for November 24, one day after the deadline for expressions of interest in the role of independent ‘alternative engine’ supplier.

It is expected to be explosive, with the existing manufacturers preparing arguments against the proposal on the grounds of their contracts with the FIA and Ecclestone.

“Some people think they are super-smart,” said Ecclestone, “but we are not stupid.”

Auto Motor und Sport said Ferrari is devising a peace offering in the form of allowing customers to base a more affordable engine on its existing ‘power unit’, to be sold under the Alfa Romeo brand.

TORO ROSSO TO BE MORE ITALIAN IN 2016 SAYS SAINZ

Spoiler
                          Toro Rosso rookie Carlos Sainz says he is looking forward to a better season in 2016.

Although overshadowed by his meteoric teammate Max Verstappen, the Spanish rookie has also shone at Toro Rosso, outqualifying the highly-rated Dutchman 10-9.

“I can say that (Red Bull driver manager) Helmut Marko is happy,” Sainz smiled after the season finale Abu Dhabi grand prix.

“I think that in many ways he was surprised how we have gone this season and how we were able to compete with Red Bull Racing. This gives me cause for optimism and I am waiting for good news from him,” he added.

The ‘good news’ is surely to be a new Toro Rosso contract for Sainz, but also confirmation that the Faenza based team is switching from Renault to Ferrari power.

Sainz may have spoken out of turn about the team’s Ferrari plans earlier in Abu Dhabi, but even now he says: “I hope that we will have a more powerful engine in 2016.

“While I cannot mention the name of the supplier, I think we could be considered even more of an Italian team after this,” he quipped.

When asked about Toro Rosso’s engine plans for 2016, Christian Horner said in Abu Dhabi: “I can only speak on behalf of Red Bull Racing. You would have to ask Franz Tost about Toro Rosso.”

BOOTH AND LOWDON SET FOR LE MANS PROJECT

Spoiler
                          Departed Manor bosses John Booth and Graeme Lowdon are tipped to re-fire their racing instincts in the world of endurance sports cars.

Reportedly amid a split with new owner Stephen Fitzpatrick, whose investment saved the former Marussia team last winter, the British duo farewelled the F1 paddock after last weekend’s Abu Dhabi finale.

“Rather than focus on the reasons, I would prefer to focus on the fact that the most important task this year was to make sure that the team continued racing,” Lowdon said.

Prodrive chief David Richards, the former BAR and Benetton team boss, ruled out taking over at Manor. “No,” he told Britain’s Sky. “I’ve done my stint in formula one.”

What Booth and Lowdon will do next is now the subject of speculation, but it is expected that they will reclaim the ‘Manor’ name, with a corresponding change for the backmarker team apparently agreed at the recent F1 Commission meeting.

60-year-old Booth, who founded Manor Motorsport in 1990, told Reuters: “I’ve been involved in motor sport since I was 23, so it’s a hard thing just to walk away from, isn’t it?”

And Lowdon, who came into F1 with Booth six years ago thanks to his contacts with former team owner Virgin, hints that the duo are already planning their next steps.

“Maybe time for a new adventure?” he announced on Twitter alongside a photo of himself and Booth at the controls of a plane.

The message also included a reference to ‘RealManor’, a new non-F1 Manor Motorsport Twitter account.

dailysportscar.com says their next project could be an LMP2 effort at Le Mans, after Lowdon visited the world endurance championship finale in Bahrain recently.

Comment

• WEC odvlači ljudstvo iz F1, nadam se da neke stvri postaju jasnije svima na čelu Formule...

Comment

• Neka idu i trebaju da idu. F1 već godinama nije ona F1, dok WEC iz godine u godinu dobija na popularnosti i može se reći da polako skida F1 sa vrha Autosporta.

FIA gives Ecclestone/Todt mandate to change F1

Spoiler
                              Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt have been given a mandate to make changes to the sport's structure in a bid to secure its long-term future.

In an extraordinary move by the World Motor Sport Council, it was announced that Todt and Ecclestone would be allowed to take action on governance structure, engines and cost cuts, amid frustrations about the way teams are blocking progress.

In a statement issued by the FIA after the WMSC's hearing in Paris on Wednesday, it said: "The World Motor Sport Council approved, by a near unanimous number (just one vote against), a mandate for the FIA President, Jean Todt and the Representative of the Commercial Rights Holder, Bernie Ecclestone to make recommendations and decisions regarding a number of pressing issues in Formula One such as governance, Power Units and cost reduction.

"Mr Todt and Mr Ecclestone expressed their intention to establish conclusions on these matters by 31 January, 2016."

Technical changes

The FIA also approved a relaxation of the number of tokens engine manufacturers can use over the next few years, starting with 32 for next year and dropping to 25 for 2017.

The padded areas around the driver's head have been increased in thickness for improved safety.

Tyre tweaks

The FIA also approved changes to the tyre rules to deliver some freedom for teams to choose their own compounds.

Pirelli will now bring three compounds at each race, with teams having freedom to pick which type of rubber they want for 10 of their 13 sets available over a weekend.

VSC

A rule change to re-enable the Virtual Safety immediately after it has been used was approved, while the VSC may now also be used in practice sessions to avoid red flag periods.

Wolff: Driver tension may force line-up change

Spoiler
                              Mercedes says it will consider replacing either Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg if their troubled relationship starts hurting the Formula 1 team.

In a dramatic post-season warning to his drivers made by motorsport boss Toto Wolff, the Austrian claims that the dynamic between them – plus how they work with team members – has become the title-winning outfit's biggest weakness.

He says that ongoing difficulties that come up whenever one of the drivers loses are no longer acceptable.

"We struggle sometimes in winning races on Sunday and having always one [driver] upset," said Wolff in an exclusive interview with Motorsport.com.

"And this spills over into the team. It is something that needs to stop."

His comments come in the wake of more trouble in Abu Dhabi, when there was controversy over the implications of Hamilton's free tyre-strategy and disagreement about radio instructions regarding engine settings in the closing stages.

Driver change

Wolff is well aware that having two number one drivers will always require a level of management, but he has suggested that what has been happening this season is not good enough.

"We took the decision of having two evenly matched drivers in order to make the team progress faster and better," he said. "It was a very conscious decision three years ago.

"Going forward, we will consider if it is the best set-up for the team. Personality and character within the team is a crucial ingredient for the team success.

"If we feel that it is not aligned with the general consensus, spirit and philosophy within the team, we might consider that when we take a decision, in terms of the driver line-up going forward."

When asked to clarify if that meant a change in team philosophy to have a number one and number two instead, or simply a change of one of the current drivers, Wolff said: "I think it is important to have talented and fast drivers in the car. But we want to work with nice guys."

Rosberg's contract runs until the end of 2016, although there are likely to be options that mean it can be extended beyond then.

Hamilton signed a three-year extension earlier this year to remain at the team until the end of 2018.

However, if relations do get strained, and the team becomes unhappy about what is going on, then it is possible decisions could be taken earlier.

Biggest weakness

Wolff has said that a lot has gone on in private this season that he is not happy about, and he has suggested that the issue is not just related to tensions between Rosberg and Hamilton.

He also says there are examples where the behaviour of the drivers has strained relations between them and team members, too.

"There is lots going on behind closed doors," he said. "I feel that the team is stronger than ever. We are having huge unity within the team, but the difficult relationship of the drivers is one of our weaknesses. And that is not good.

"If I were to analyse what are the biggest strengths and the biggest weakness of the team, I would say the biggest strength is the quality and the characters of the personalities within the team.

"The biggest weakness is the dynamic of the relationship between the drivers – and sometimes between the drivers and the team."

Force India close to finalising deal for Aston Martin's F1 return

Spoiler
                              Force India is close to finalising a deal with Aston Martin that will see the British sportscar manufacturer return to Formula 1 after a 55-year absence.

Autosport revealed at the end of October that the Aston Martin name was likely to return to F1, after a two-year run in 1959-60.

Talks have continued in recent weeks about the details, which will likely see the team renamed to Aston Martin Racing, and run with a blue and gold livery as part of a link with sponsor Johnnie Walker.

"We're close," Force India's chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer told Autosport during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend.

"I think in maybe another week to 10 days we'll be able to announce something."

Assessing the potential impact of the link, Szafnauer added: "Either way we should be OK, but maybe with Aston we'll have a different look and attract some other types of sponsors and maybe get some more money in.

"If we can do that, it will help us make that next step and continue the form that we've showed in the final part of this year."

Force India claimed fifth in the constructors' championship, thanks primarily to the introduction of the B-spec for the second half of the campaign.

Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg combined had a 59 strike rate in scoring points over the upgraded car's 11 races, including finishing fifth and seventh in Abu Dhabi last weekend.

"We were the fifth quickest team. Not bad," Szafnauer said.

"It's encouraging because I think we've made good strides over the season, and hopefully the trajectory of development will continue into next year.

"I think we can carry it into next year because the regulations don't change much, so everything we have learned this year will apply to next year."

Izvor: autosport.com

Derani, Cumming added to ESM WEC line-up

Spoiler
                              The Tequila Patron ESM team has added Pipo Derani and Chris Cumming to its 2016 FIA WEC driver line-up.

The duo will join Scott Sharp, Ed Brown, Johannes van Overbeek and Ryan Dalziel as season entrants with a brace of Ligier JS P2 prototypes.

ESM announced last month the formalisation of a partnership with Ligier designers and manufacturers Onroak Automotive/OAK Racing.

Derani, who raced for the G-Drive Racing concern this season, enjoyed a competitive first full season in endurance racing, scoring six podium positions and finishing a close third in the LMP2 standings.

“First and foremost I am very happy and proud to be racing for Tequila Patron ESM, which is definitely one of the top endurance racing teams,” the 22 year-old Brazilian told Motorsport.com.

“I think we both share a big passion for motorsport and also a good professional work ethic.

“The partnership between Onroak and Tequila Patron ESM is a very good match-up of two highly motivated teams with lots of talented people within them.

“I have seen closely how both companies operate and this gives me great confidence that we can become the benchmark in LMP2 for 2016.”

For Cumming, the 2016 season will be first full campaign at FIA WEC level. The Canadian made his Le Mans 24 Hours debut last June driving an OAK-entered Ligier.

He then contested the final three WEC races at Fuji, Shanghai and Bahrain with the SARD Morand team.

“I’m very excited to be joining Tequila Patron ESM for their 2016 WEC campaign,” said Cumming. “For 2016, I think the package of team, car, engine and drivers will be very strong.

"Ever since I competed in my first 24 Hours of Le Mans this year, my main goal has been to return to WEC for a full season, so this is like a dream come true.

"Thank you to Scott [Sharp] and Ed [Brown] for giving me this opportunity and welcoming me to the team.

"I’m looking forward to working with my new teammates Scott, Ed, Johannes [van Overbeek], Ryan [Dalziel] and Pipo. I’m already counting the days to our first test!"

Comment

• Mogući izgled bolida Aston Martina

Last edited by Dule Krtola; 03-12-15, 10:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X