This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JaVale McGee: Some NBA players 'ready to fold'

The National Basketball Players Association held a regional meeting in Los Angeles on Friday afternoon to discuss the state of the ongoing labor negotiations with the NBA. The early word was not exactly on message.

SI.com reports that Washington Wizards center JaVale McGee left the media early to attend another engagement, noting: "There's definitely some guys in there saying that they're ready to fold, but the majority are willing to stand strong."

On Thursday, Fisher wrote on Twitter that the meeting was "important" and noted that "all players including rookies [were] welcome."

Despite that plea, SlamOnline.com reported that McGee estimated that the number of attendees was "about 25 to 30," fewer than the number who attended the NBPA's most recent regional meeting, held in Las Vegas back in September.

"Everybody knows we've got 2 get more people 2 come to the meetings," McGee said, according to SI.com.

Shortly after multiple independent sources reported McGee's comments, he posted the following message on Twitter: "I never said anyone is ready to fold! Media always wanna turn it!"

The NBPA's meeting is taking place one day after NBA commissioner David Stern began a media blitz that included an attack on NBPA executive director Billy Hunter, who he said has been inaccurately representing the NBA's offer to rank-and-file players.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/32718682
    sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

Sheridan column: Breakdown of financial and system differences

NEW YORK — Have you cooled off yet, guys?

The next step in the NBA lockout is likely to be a phone call placed from the league office to the players’ association. It’ll be a courtesy call to inform the union that an announcement is forthcoming that another chunk of games is being canceled.

The call could end there, or it could include a kicker: “Feel like sitting down together again?”

Let’s face it: At some point, the logical and inevitable thing to do is to re-engage in dialogue, drop the preconditions once again and see if it might be mutually beneficial to try to finish off negotiations to end this madness before the possibility of having an 82-game season becomes moot.

This fight has become foolish, idiocy in its finest form.

Take this example, for instance:

The NBA is a business that brought in $4.2 billion last season, and the owners and players are a mere $100 million per season apart on the financial side of their negotiations. They will lose $800 million by wiping out a month of the schedule, yet that is what they seem to be intent on doing to show what tough negotiators they are. (It is worth noting that the only people making money from the NBA lockout are the law firms representing the two sides).

Burning down the village in order to save it? Yep.

By now you should be familiar with what is keeping the sides apart. The owners are offering a 50/50 split of basketball related income; the players are asking for 52.5 percent. Each percentage point equals $40 million. Do the math, and it’s $100 million per year.

But there also are differences in what the salary cap system will look like, although many of those differences were narrowed in the 30 1/2 hours of federally mediated talks held last week. Here is where the sides stand on a number of those system issues:

_ Mid-level exception: Contrary to reports elsewhere, there is not a complete agreement on this particular piece of the puzzle. Yes, the sides have agreed that the maximum mid-level exception should be $5 million, but the owners want it to max out at $15 million over three years (no annual raises), while the union wants the maximum mid-level to be for four years, with 7 or 8 percent annual raises depending on the length of the contract.

_ Restricted free agency: The union went into these talks asking that the waiting time for a team to match an offer to a restricted free agent be reduced from 7 days. The owners have acquiesced, and the window for matching will be reduced to 3 or 4 days. The union also is asking that restricted free agency be removed for players coming off their rookie scale contracts, which would allow first-round picks to become unrestricted after four years instead of five, which is the case for second-round picks.

_ Trade rules: Under the old system, the salaries of players being traded had to be within 125 percent of each other (if both trading teams were over the salary cap). This rule will be loosened considerably, although a final formula has not been agreed to. The players want the percentage to rise to 225 percent (whereby, for instance, a player making $1 million could be traded for a player making $2.25 million), while the owners have indicated a willingness to allow the percentage to rise to 140 or 150 percent — although teams paying the luxury tax would have a tighter restraint.

_ The “stretch exception”: Under this proposal, a team could waive any player and stretch out the remainder of the money he is owed, reducing the salary cap number for that waived player. For instance, if an underperforming player had three years left on his contract and was waived under the stretch exception, his remaining unpaid salary would be stretched out over a period as long as seven years. (Example: A player owed $21 million for three years who is waived under the stretch exception would still be paid his $21 million, but the cap cost would be spread over seven years, meaning he would count $3 million annually against the cap instead of $7 million.) In theory, this would free up more money to be paid to players who were worthy of the increased salary. (Also, an additional pile of money would be freed up through the amnesty clause, a one-time opportunity when this deal gets done for each team to waive one player without his salary counting against the salary cap or the luxury tax. This clause would be especially helpful to Orlando, which could remove Gilbert Arenas and the $62.4 million he is owed over the next three years, and Portland, which could do the same with Brandon Roy’s $49 million in guaranteed money over the next three seasons.)

_ Maximum annual raises: There has been little movement here, with the owners asking that maximum raises be 4 1/2 percent for Bird players and 3 percent for others. The union wants to keep the current system of 10.5 percent raises for Bird players, with the caveat that the maximum raises would drop to 9 percent for a player signing a four- or five-year contract. For non-Bird players the union is asking for maximum raises of 8 percent in two- and three-year contracts, and 7 percent for players receiving four- or five-year deals.

_ The escrow tax: Under the old system, 9 percent of every player’s salary was withheld to ensure that players, as a whole, received no more than 57 percent of BRI (More than $160 million in withheld escrow funds from last season were refunded to players in August). The owners want to change things to have an NHL-style system with an unlimited escrow tax withheld, while the union wants to keep something resembling the present system in place.

_ Base-year compensation: The is an incredibly complicated rule dealing with the cap number for players who are in the first year of a new contract that pays them considerably more than they earned in their previous deal (i.e. a player coming off a rookie scale contract who signs a max deal). The union wants the rule eliminated, and the owners are open to that idea — except in the case of luxury tax-paying teams, and when the base-year player is involved in a sign-and-trade deal.

_ Additional Bird restrictions: The owners have backed off their previous demands that no team could have more than three Bird players on its roster at any time, and that no tax-paying team could use the Bird exception on more than one player per season. The owners are continuing to ask that tax-paying teams be prohibited from using the mid-level exception or the so-called Early Bird exception.

_ Maximum salaries: The owners have withdrawn their demands for changes to the maximum salary structure for individual players. The old system will remain, with the hard cap on individual salaries remaining roughly 25 percent of the cap for players with 1-6 years of service, 30 percent for players with 7-9 years, and 35 percent for players with 10 or more years of experience.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/10/23/...aining-issues/
      sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

Sources: Players sign world tour deals

Details of the six-game, four-continent exhibition tour by NBA players set to begin at the end of October have not been finalized, but 14 of the 18 players approached have contractually committed to the tour, sources said, and deals with all 18 are expected to be completed Sunday night.

The list of players approached by Atlanta businessman Cal Darden include reigning NBA MVP Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, sources said.

The tour is scheduled to start with a game Oct. 30 in Puerto Rico and include two games in London, one in Macau and two, back-to-back, in Australia.

Since news of the tour surfaced last week, nine more players have expressed interest in taking part, a source said, and two more may be added.

A couple of agents with players committed to the tour said on condition of anonymity that they are curious to see how Darden will make good on the contractual promises made.

The players will be paid salaries ranging from six figures up to $1 million, sources have told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Those fees would have to be covered above and beyond insurance, travel and security costs in four foreign locales.

But a source close to the organizers said a news release officially announcing the tour could be distributed as early as Monday.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/71...ce-sources-say
        sigpic

Comment

Hunter: 'We don't want to be totally exploited'

Billy Hunter was on the B.S. Report to discuss the lockout, spending about an hour discussing any and everything about the current state of labor talks.

He said he sees these negotiations as similar to 1998's lockout that resulted in 32 lost games, but felt that last week's long negotiations were going to yield something positive.

"I thought we were trying to reach compromise when we were there last week," Hunter said. "I suspect it's more about an internal battle that may be brewing or that's occuring between the big and small markets over the proposals we've submitted.

"We don't want to be totally exploited."

Hunter recounted a meeting with David Stern in Cleveland a few years ago during the postseason where Stern said his owners were ready and willing to miss an entire season to force player salary rollbacks.

Hunter said that the owners have acknowledged that 53 percent covers their losses and gives them the "possibility" of making a profit, citing specifically Peter Holt. And also said that players, having come down from 57 percent to as low as 52.5 in terms of Basketball Related Income split, are starting to dig into these negotiations for more reasons than just money, implying that it has moved past just dollars and cents, but is about the principle of getting a fair deal and they're willing to take the hit in order to get it. Now it's becoming a moral issue to them.

"They're principled individuals," Hunter said. "After a while, it becomes a principle ... the players are a little bit more strident."

Hunter said that during last week's long negotiations there were multiple ideas presented, with one interesting concept coming from Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Hunter said Cuban came up with a structure called the "Game-changer" that included no salary cap. Hunter said he took that back to the players and they had a version of it they liked and then Hunter said two or three owners were very excited about it. And then a couple small market owners put the kibosh on it.

"We're open to the idea Mark Cuban put on the table," he said.

Hunter also commeted on NHL player Bill Guerin's statements that holding out for a deal wasn't worth it, saying that he and his staff have been "very transparent" with the players about how much they'll lose per week, per month or even for a season. But also said the players are actively pursuing every opportunity to make a deal.

"We've indicated that we're ready to sit down and negotiate with them in a minute's notice," Hunter said. "I'm prepared to do anything within reason -- within reason -- to get a deal."

Hunter relayed that he had told the owners that concessions on systems issues might make the NBA's 50-50 offer "more palatable" to players. Meaning, I think, that owners could get their desired 50-50 BRI split if they'll work on some of their systematic demands. But Hunter said the owners will only negotiate system on the precondition of a 50-50 split. Which is when Dan Gilbert evidently told Hunter to "trust his gut" on the system.

Hunter was asked about Bryant Gumbel's comments that compared Stern to a "plantation overseer," simply answering, "I don't think David is racist at all." But he did try and explain why Stern's being so hard-headed on these negotiations.

"I think the reason David's being so stubborn is he's got a new crop of owners," Hunter said. "He's got all these guys who are extremely successful, making billions of dollars and they bought these franchises. And they just have a different perspective."

It's honestly easy to hear Hunter's side of the story and lean towards the players. He presents a side that's very open to every compromise, open to every idea but is being met with a hard wall of stubborn owners looking for a blowout victory in these negotiations. Is it encouraging? Somewhat. Hunter was very straightforward with how much the players are willing to concede to get a deal done. I think they're position is out in the open. They want a deal where they can feel that the owners didn't get everything they wanted and raked them over the coals.

If it eventually comes to that, the players will be ready to deal. How long that's going to take is the question.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/32918768
          sigpic

Comment

J.J. Hickson is one game and done in Israel

J.J. Hickson is not going to go down in history as one of the legends of Israeli basketball.

The Sacramento Kings forward played one game for Bnei Hasharon of Israel but has been released after one game because he was late for a couple practices. Practice? Yes, we’re talkin’ ’bout practice. Noam Schiller, writer for Cowbell Kingdom and follower of the Israeli basketball league, tweeted this.

So, to recap: J.J. Hickson signs in Israel, plays ONE game in which his team loses by 39 points, is late to practice, gets released
            Hickson was a -44 in that game.

Playing overseas is not a vacation. For these teams, this is their NBA, the way they make a living. NBA players who come over and treat this as if they were tourists are not going to be tolerated.

Comment

Lakers bring new coaching staff, many questions into NBA season

Aging Lakers are a year older but still one of the NBA's most intriguing teams heading into a truncated season after end of lockout. Most regulars will be back but several roster spots remain in flux.

Not much has happened since the Lakers last played a game.

Ron Artest has a new name. Derek Fisher is now 37 years old.

Oh, and Phil Jackson is gone, a whole new coaching staff is in place and there are questions about whether the Lakers can return to their championship air of 2009 and 2010.

Now that the NBA lockout has apparently ended, the Lakers remain one of the league's most intriguing teams. But what exactly will they look like in 2011-12?

Most of the regulars will be back. Kobe Bryant (33 years old) has three years left on his contract, as does Pau Gasol (31). Lamar Odom (32) has two years remaining, along with Andrew Bynum (24), though neither has a fully guaranteed deal beyond this season.

Then it gets interesting.

Fisher and Steve Blake are holdovers but the Lakers want to add a point guard before the season starts, via free agency or the expected "amnesty" provision in the new labor deal that allows teams to waive a player without having to pay luxury taxes on his salary, or have his salary count toward the salary cap.

The Lakers are curious to see if veteran point guard Baron Davis gets cut by Cleveland. He has two years and $28.7 million left on his contract, though he can be signed for substantially less than that. The Lakers also want a shooter and are monitoring whether forward Rashard Lewis (two years, $43.8 million remaining) gets waived by Washington.

Because the Lakers are so far over the salary cap with a current payroll of about $90 million, their only real spending tool in free agency is the mid-level exception, which will shrink dramatically from last year's five-year, $29-million maximum for such a player.

Jamal Crawford is one of the top options in a weak free-agent class, but the former Atlanta Hawks combo guard will probably want too much for the Lakers' taste. Jose Juan Barea ran rings around the Lakers in the playoffs, but Dallas is expected to make a big push to re-sign the unrestricted free-agent guard.

There's also a question of which player the Lakers will cut with their amnesty provision: Luke Walton or Metta World Peace (Artest).

Walton, 31, has two years and $11.5 million left on his contract. World Peace, 32, has three years and $21.5 million remaining. Walton has been plagued by back problems the last few years and averaged 1.7 points in 54 games last season. World Peace played all 82 regular-season games last season but averaged a career-low 8.5 points.

The Lakers would save $11.5 million in luxury taxes by waiving Walton and $21.5 million by cutting World Peace but would still have to pay the salary of whichever player they cut.

There are other roster questions.

There's a chance guard Shannon Brown returns despite declining a $2.4-million player option last June. The start of his 2010-11 season was much stronger than his finish but the Lakers hadn't shut the door on re-signing him after he averaged 8.7 points and 19.1 minutes.

The Lakers will bring back Devin Ebanks for sure with a bargain-like $788,872 team option and might also bring back the less-promising Derrick Caracter for an identical $788,872 team option.

The Lakers did not have a first-round pick in this year's draft but could quickly add end-of-bench depth by signing at least two of their three second-round picks at cheap prices: Michigan guard Darius Morris, Charleston guard Andrew Goudelock or Sudanese forward Ater Majok.

Above the realm of second-round picks and free agents who might or might not join the team, there's the almost forgotten factor of all the unfamiliar faces on the Lakers' coaching staff, let alone the new offense and defense they plan on implementing.

Coach Mike Brown will send away Jackson's triangle offense and bring in a scheme that centers more on getting the ball down low to the big men.

Not to be forgotten, however, is that Bynum will miss the first five games of an already truncated season because of a suspension for body-slamming Barea in the final game of the Lakers' forgettable playoff limp in May.

The Lakers are a year older and a year wiser, though they were already supposed to have the wisdom part down. Once their roster shapes up, this season will be about hanging with the younger teams (Oklahoma City, Miami, Chicago) and having enough to turn it up in the playoffs . . . they hope.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...,2330537.story
              sigpic

Comment

Jamal Crawford back to NY Knicks? Agent change could make it reality

Jamal Crawford officially committed to being represented by Andy Miller at New Jersey-based ASM Sports on Sunday, a move that could lead him back to the Knicks or possibly result in him signing with the Nets.

Crawford is one of the top available free agents, and according to a source close to the veteran shooting guard, he prefers returning to the New York area if he does not re-sign with the Atlanta Hawks. Miller, due to his location, has close ties to both the Knicks’ and Nets’ organizations.

Miller’s roster of clients includes three Knicks, Chauncey Billups and free agents Jared Jeffries and Roger Mason. The Nets selected a Miller client, Maryland’s Jordan Williams, in the second round of last June’s NBA draft. Miller did not return phone calls last night.

The offensively challenged Nets would seem to a better fit since Crawford can provide much-needed scoring. Plus, a backcourt of Crawford and Deron Williams would be a formidable tandem. Last season, Crawford’s 14.2 points per game represented his lowest scoring average in 10 seasons. However, he did help Atlanta reach the second round of the playoffs.

In order for the Knicks to acquire Crawford, 31, they would likely have to work out a sign-and-trade with Atlanta. The Knicks’ first choice, of course, is to save most of their assets in order to make a run at free-agents-to-be Chris Paul or Dwight Howard.

Crawford briefly played for Mike D’Antoni before being traded to Golden State 11 games into the 2008-09 season in order to clear salary cap. He also played for Mike Woodson, now the Knicks’ top assistant coach, when Woodson coached the Hawks.

Last year, Crawford said he would welcome a chance to return to the Knicks.

“Why not? I don’t think the trade was personal,” he said. “It was all about 2010 and the players you can possibly get. I love Atlanta. I want to work out an extension here, but if I become a free agent it’s not the end of the world.”

“I’ll definitely listen,” Crawford added. “If the extension isn’t working out, I would definitely listen for sure.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.983277
                sigpic

Comment

Poof! Goes a Bad Contract, if Any N.B.A. Team Wishes

In the N.B.A., where bad contracts are more common than lane violations, every team executive dreams of a way to expunge his mistakes.

Can that Eddy Curry deal be undone?

Can we make Gilbert Arenas disappear?

Is there a purple pill we can take? Is there an app for that?

Sadly, no. But the N.B.A. is giving every team a multimillion-dollar do-over as part of its new labor deal. The league calls it the “amnesty” clause. General managers call it a get-out-of-jail-free card. It will be available starting Dec. 9, when the N.B.A. reopens for business.

Under the amnesty provision, each team can waive one player and remove him from the salary cap — creating room to sign another player and potentially saving millions in luxury-tax penalties.

The money does not disappear. The player must still be paid. But the provision could give a few teams some relief and put an extra jolt in the free-agent market.

Arenas could be set loose by the Orlando Magic, who owe him $62.4 million over the next three years. Rashard Lewis ($46 million, two years) could be dumped by the Washington Wizards. Brandon Roy, Baron Davis and Metta World Peace — the player formerly known as Ron Artest — could all spill into the market.

All were considered stars at one time, and each could be helpful to another team — at a more reasonable price, of course. There is, however, one minor caveat for the amnesty watchers and World Peace enthusiasts: most teams will not use the provision.

“I don’t think there will be very many at all,” said one team executive, who asked to remain anonymous while the lockout remains in effect.

At most, three to six teams will take advantage of the amnesty clause this year, the executive said — a view that was echoed by others around the league. The reasons are varied and complicated.

Some teams are so far above the cap that removing one player will not provide room to sign free agents. A few teams have such low payrolls that they would dip below the minimum-payroll requirements. At least 10 teams have no obvious candidates for amnesty.

And many teams might simply hold onto their amnesty card for a future year. According to a draft of the rule, a team can use the provision in any off-season, subject to two restrictions: the player must have been signed before July 1, 2011, and must be on the team’s current roster.

In other words, a team cannot sign or trade for a player now and apply for amnesty later. The provision is meant for past mistakes, not future cap calamities.

Because there is no deadline, teams may wait and see whether their albatrosses learn to fly again before casting them adrift. No team executive wants to admit a mistake, or to ask his owner for permission to eat a $20 million contract.

General managers are also eternal optimists — convinced that a player will rebound from a bad season or that some other general manager will trade for him despite the bloated contract and poor play.

Sometimes, they are right. Last season, Washington and Orlando swapped headaches, with the Wizards sending Arenas — who had been arrested for a gunplay incident — to the Magic for Lewis, who was simply bad. The philosophy: better to trade a player for another asset (even a flawed one) than to pay him a full salary just to disappear.

Amnesty players will go through waivers, like any other player. However, teams that make claims will also enter bids. The highest bidder will get the player and pay that amount (with the balance paid by the team that cut him).

There are some seemingly clear amnesty choices this year.

Arenas is a prime candidate because of his bad knees, his diminishing skills and his reputation for causing locker-room friction. Orlando, which is fearful of losing Dwight Howard to free agency next summer, cannot afford poor team chemistry. Cutting Arenas would not give the Magic any cap room, but it would drop them below the tax threshold, saving them millions.

Lewis is another obvious candidate, after his production plummeted last season (11.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, .433 field-goal percentage). However, waiving Lewis would leave the Wizards with just $19 million in salaries — $30 million below the minimum payroll. They would have to sign several players just to comply with the rules, no doubt creating more bad contracts in the process.

Perhaps the most enticing candidate is Roy, a Portland Trail Blazers guard. Just 27, Roy is a three-time All-Star and a dazzling scorer. But he has chronic knee problems and played just 47 games last season, his scoring average plummeting to 12.2 points. He is owed $68.3 million over the next four seasons. Paul Allen, the Blazers’ billionaire owner, can surely afford the bill, but waiving Roy will not create cap room.

For the Lakers — who view bad contracts as just another cost of winning championships — the choices are overwhelming. They could waive Mr. World Peace ($21 million, three years), Luke Walton ($11.8 million, two years) or Steve Blake ($12 million, three years). Walton seems the most logical choice because of chronic back problems. But if Walton is forced to retire, the Lakers could clear him from the books through a medical waiver and use amnesty for World Peace.

The list of amnesty candidates, as compiled by ESPN.com, reads like an encyclopedia of contractual regret, filled with players who were signed only a year ago and already seem overpriced: Al Harrington (Denver), Brendan Haywood (Dallas), Richard Jefferson (San Antonio), Josh Childress (Phoenix), Mike Miller (Miami), Johan Petro (Nets) and Travis Outlaw (Nets).

The new labor deal is packed with measures to mitigate payroll gaffes: shorter contracts, smaller raises and a new “stretch” provision that lets teams spread payments (and cap hits) over several years.

The intention is to let teams recover more quickly from their mistakes and to provide roster flexibility. But in the N.B.A., bad contracts are like the heads of a Hydra: cut one off, and two more will take its place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/sp...ract.html?_r=3
                  sigpic

Comment

Warriors' players ready to start NBA season

Trying to find a way to describe his emotions about the possibility of soon returning to an NBA court, Warriors swingman Dorell Wright needed capital letters and exclamation points.

"Man, the only thing that comes to my mind is FINALLY!!" Wright wrote in a text to The Chronicle on Sunday. "I'm really looking forward to getting back in the gym with my teammates and new coaches."

That appears to be the overwhelming opinion of the players since reaching a tentative agreement with owners early Saturday to end the lockout, with a chance of training camps opening Dec. 9 and a 66-game schedule slated to tip off Dec. 25.

New head coach Mark Jackson has held "boot camps," one in Oakland and another in Southern California, for his recently assembled coaching staff. He says he's ready to hit the ground running, but he'll be doing it for the first time as a head coach and in a condensed training camp that will include probably only two exhibition games.

"It's great to be back," Warriors power forward David Lee said. "Thanks to all of the fans who were patient. Can't wait to get back to the bay and continue my preparations."

"Everyone is coming in ready to work, so it shouldn't be too hard getting on the same page with him as a coach," Wright said. "We're all going to buy into his system."

Jackson's system has to be a departure from the ones the Warriors used the past three seasons.

During that span, the Warriors finished 28th, 29th and 26th in defensive efficiency. Assistant coach Michael Malone choreographed a defensive renaissance last season in New Orleans, but he had Chris Paul (the league's best defender against dribble penetration), some long-armed wing players and a shot blocker in Emeka Okafor.

The Warriors have to find a way for Monta Ellis, Wright and Ekpe Udoh to fill those roles, or a roster overhaul might be in order.

Ellis and Andris Biedrins are always buzz-worthy when it comes to possible transactions.

Ellis is a unique and dynamic scorer, but he doesn't pass well and plays stretches that make him look like the league's worst perimeter defender. Jackson wants to see if he can change those portions of Ellis' game without disturbing the guard's electric offensive abilities.

Biedrins, who hasn't been himself since a number of injuries and poor foul shooting drastically affected his confidence, could be an option for the amnesty clause in the new collective bargaining agreement. The amnesty clause, which also could be considered for Lee or Charlie Bell, allows each team to cut a player and pay the remainder of his contract without having the salary count against the cap.

The Warriors say they're not considering an amnesty for Biedrins. Instead, they want to make a push to acquire a big man, such as Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan or Nene.

That type of splash would be tough, because the team will go into the year about $6 million under the salary cap if they don't dump some expensive players.

The offseason hiring of executive board member Jerry West and assistant general manager Bob Myers, however, have the Warriors' front office dreaming big about big men.

Neither owners nor front-office members have been cleared to talk about the lockout, but the Warriors released an organizational comment: "The tentative agreement is great news for our fans, players and our organization. We are very hopeful the NBA will be back on the court on Christmas Day."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPJ01M4RTV.DTL
                    sigpic

Comment

Nets’ Brooks raring to go

With a handshake deal in place for a new NBA labor deal, Nets players could start gathering this week and begin some impromptu workouts.

Rookie MarShon Brooks could be the first back in New Jersey. He’s due tomorrow.

“It’s not a good feeling being unemployed,” Brooks said. “I’ve been waiting for this all my life. I am so ready to go to work.”

So is Nets brass. One spot the Nets must look to solidify is power forward, where last season Kris Humphries had a breakout year.

But Humphries is a free agent and his summer was, shall we say, unusual. So one name heard around the Nets is Denver’s Nene. But, say several league sources, Boston’s Glen “Big Baby” Davis looks favorably upon the Nets if he doesn’t re-up with the Celtics.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/...b2y5FMNdyoGiwM
                      sigpic

Comment

Pacers exploring trade and free agency

The Indiana Pacers are coming off of fascinating season. They started off hot as fire, then cratered a bit. Jim O'Brien was fired, and then interim coach Frank Vogel took them to the playoffs, where they had as competitive a five-game series against the Bulls as a five-game series can be. So they're looking to upgrade the team and make a run, right now. They brought in George Hill through trade, and now are looking for more additions.

The Indianapolis Star mentons a pretty intriguing option through trade: Paul Millsap.
                        The Pacers talked to the Utah Jazz about forward Paul Milsap prior to the draft. Expect them to make a phone call to the Jazz again. The 26-year-old Milsap, a Pacer killer in the past, averaged a career-high 17 points last season.

Millsap would make for the power forward the Pacers are looking for in free agency through David West or Nene. If they were to trade Roy Hibbert as part of the package, thiy could sign Nene, then add Millsap making one of the better front courts in the Eastern Conference, along with Danny Granger. The Pacers are clearly looking to enter the conference race right now, instead of waiting to see their young pieces develop.

The question is, what's the objective? Can the Pacers win a title with Danny Granger as their best player? They've put together an interesting, fast, young team that can defend at one end, hit from the perimeter, and get out in transition. But do they have a team that could get hot and go on an unpredictable run to the title? OK, it wouldn't be unpredictable if we could answer that. But the point is that the Pacers are loading up for what is likely a team whose ceiling is the second round.

Have to try something, I guess. The Pacers surprised people last season. If they spend wisely, and that's a big if, they could do the same this year with heightened expectations.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/33567311
                        sigpic

Comment

Canzano: Blazers appear set to use amnesty clause on Brandon Roy

The whisper at One Center Court is that Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen won't bother to take one last look at Brandon Roy before he goes amnesty clause on the guy who won all those games for him.

Here's hoping Allen does. And that the longest look is into Roy's eyes.

"Brandon's out," a league executive told me Monday. "Don't know the exact details, but everyone around the league knows it's way, way done. Paul and Bert (Kolde) are calling the shots on this one."

If you wondered who would follow Kevin Pritchard and succeed Rich Cho in the cursed Portland GM seat, we apparently have a two-headed solution. And so it appears that the Blazers new brain trust – Allen and his childhood pal – is ready to make the first basketball mistake of this "BFF" era.

Cut Roy?

If he can't play anymore, sure. Makes total sense. The guy makes $15 million a year. Lots of back-to-backs in a shortened season. But there's no sense in flushing the three-time All Star before you've taken a long look at him in training camp, watched him run, and gauged whether a long offseason has been good to his knees. Maybe even seen him in a scrimmage.

Allen makes that hasty move, and we all see right through him, don't we?

The ticket sales representatives at One Center Court have fought the lockout by promising fans interest on their deposits and coupons for concessions and gear. Also, they've peddled hope.

It's what all sports franchises do, but there's nobody better than the Blazers. "Rise with us "turns into "Uprising" turns into "RIP City Uprising." And the changing faces and tired slogans draped on the grain silo across from the Rose Garden over the last five years tell a hollow, sad, tired story.

Roy couldn't have known when he was drafted and pushed as the new face of the franchise that it might end like this. But he's been around long enough to see front office executives back-stabbed, and players dropped, and coaches and general managers forced out.

Pritchard and Roy were as close as a GM and star probably can be in this league. And so Roy must have seen the parade of good people who have come and gone and thought to himself, "My time will come, too."

Roy told me at the end of last season, days after his Game 4 miracle, that he was going to spend this offseason getting stronger. And he said he might get some experimental treatment in his knees. Also, he acknowledged what most of us already knew long ago – that he probably came back from his surgeries too soon for his own good.

Roy's been dependable, if nothing else. He's been there to make big plays and finish games, and his contract was largely given to him based upon his past performance, and a belief that his knees would hold up.

Can Allen and Kolde really be sure that Roy is done without seeing him over a few months? Can any of us? Why not give coach Nate McMillan the chance to see what his top game closer can do?

Teammate Wesley Matthews said he'd like to see more: "You saw Game 4. He put us on his back. He's still Brandon Roy. He still has plenty of basketball in him."

The Blazers owe Roy some decency. He's played hurt. He's given the franchise everything he has. But it's time now to look longer at Roy, and hold off on a hasty decision.

Doesn't Roy deserve the exact sort of patience Allen granted a busted-up Greg Oden.

Even if the Blazers cut Roy with the new Amnesty Clause, they will not have room under the salary cap. There isn't another player to be picked up. This isn't a roster move to be made. It amounts to nothing more than a money move designed to keep Allen from paying more luxury tax than he'd like

Allen spent this lockout posturing like an owner who is questioning his financial commitment to the basketball hobby. Feels like he wants out. Allen's been a taxpayer in this league. The biggest glutton at a table of gluttons. And now, he's turned spendthrift?

Here's hoping the "BFF" boys will take a longer look at Roy before they make a foolish move. You know, let McMillan see Roy, so they have the opinion of a guy who knows some basketball. Because if Roy can't play, you make this move with diligence, and your fans understand. But if he can still help the Blazers and you set him free, fans will never forgive.

I join the faction of Blazers front-office employees who believe Allen should take a longer look at Roy before making any move regarding his future. And so here's hoping Allen will reconsider.

When it comes to Allen, I've given up trying to read him rationally. He feels like a guy guessing, or turning into Howard Hughes. It just makes no sense.

The new collective bargaining agreement will punish teams that pay a luxury tax in multiple years. The Blazers would like to avoid that. And so if Allen and Kolde make the move they're expected to make, the hope here is that the billionaire himself has the decency to thank Roy for pulling this blasted franchise out of draft-lottery hell all those years ago.

Also, I hope he has the guts to tell Roy on the way out that he's no longer a Blazer because it saved him a few tax bucks.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...ar_set_to.html
                          sigpic

Comment

Nene wants out ; six teams in hunt

One of the surest bets of the soon-to-begin 2011 NBA free-agent period is that Nene wants out of Denver. Where he winds up, and how, will be among the most intriguing storylines when the floodgates open around Dec. 9.

The Nuggets are operating under the firm belief that Nene will test the market as an unrestricted free agent, according to a person familiar with the team's thinking. Six teams have registered interest, the source said: Golden State, New Jersey, Indiana, Miami, Dallas and Houston.

Nene, the top unrestricted free agent on the market in the view of many team executives, will have a say over where he winds up -- though not as much as free agents did under the previous system since free agents can no longer get max deals when leaving their teams via sign-and-trades.

Nene, 29, has long coveted Miami and Dallas as landing spots, but would have to force his way to one of those teams via a sign-and-trade since both are well over the cap. And whereas LeBron James was able to get a max deal through a sign-and-trade when he went from Cleveland to Miami, Nene would have to settle for a four-year deal with 4.5 percent raises under the new system in such an arrangement.

If the Golden State used the amnesty provision on Andris Biedrins, the Warriors would have enough room to sign Nene outright for close to the max -- but again, that would be a four-year deal with non-Bird raises as opposed to the five-year deal with 7.5 percent raises he'd get by re-signing with Denver. There's no incentive under the new rules for Nene to push for a sign-and-trade as opposed to an outright signing with another team, unless there was a clear preference for a team that didn't have room to sign him.

There is incentive, however, for the Nuggets to accommodate his wishes in the hopes of getting significant assets back through a sign-and-trade. For the Nuggets, the most advantageous scenario would be if Nene wanted to be in Miami, Dallas or Houston enough to be willing to accept less money to get there.

UPDATE: The Nets would have room sign Nene to a max deal starting at 30 percent of the cap -- $17.4 million -- if they used amnesty on Travis Outlaw. The Pacers have enough room regardless, while the Rockets are close. They would either do a sign-and-trade or use amnesty on Terrence Williams and clear the rest through separate deals to clear room for an outright signing.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.co...38893/33584531

Comment

Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

When ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that the Celtics would be willing to trade point guard Rajon Rondo for the right player, it surprised anyone who had seen the sixth-year player's mastery of the team's system in recent years.

But according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, Boston general manager Danny Ainge is highly motivated to land an even better point guard than the one who led the Celtics to a championship in 2008 and an average of 58.5 wins in the last four seasons: New Orleans' Chris Paul.

Ainge, the sources say, has recently discussed trading Rondo in a deal that nets Paul, but the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo -- who has four years worth approximately $46 million left on his contract -- and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been on the prowl for a third team that could provide the sort of young pieces Hornets general manager Dell Demps would covet as part of his possible rebuilding plan. The more pressing question, of course, is whether Paul, who can become a free agent after this season, would consider signing an extension with Boston.

While ESPN reports that New York tops Paul's wish list because of the chance to form a Big Three with Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony, Paul would have a chance to take the Big Four -- joining Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen -- to a new level in Beantown. Without Paul agreeing to an extension, however, the sources say Ainge will not do the deal.

Intriguing as the Celtics possibility might be, the challenge for Ainge would be selling the 26-year-old Paul on the idea of joining a group of future Hall of Famers with an average age of 35. While Pierce is under contract through 2014, Garnett's and Allen's deals end after this season. What's more, Boston is merely one of the many teams who will be making a serious attempt to land Paul this season.

Paul, who will make $16.4 million this season and has a $17.8 million player option in 2012-13, is widely expected to turn down a forthcoming extension offer from New Orleans. If and when that occurs, it is believed that the Hornets -- who have just five players under contract currently and hardly look like the sort of championship contender Paul wants to be a part of -- will trade him at some point in order to avoid losing him for nothing in return next summer.

The Hornets add a unique element on their own as well: They are owned by the NBA, which has led to the question of whether it would prefer Paul stays put. The league bought the team for $310 million last December and the franchise value would almost certainly take a hit if the popular Paul departs. He has long been hailed as a local hero, a classy member of the community and more than capable athlete who arrived at the toughest of times in New Orleans. Paul was drafted fourth overall by the Hornets out of Wake Forest in 2005, just two months before Hurricane Katrina hit and the team played its next two seasons in Oklahoma City before returning.

This isn't the first time Ainge has attempted to make a bold move to improve his already formidable core. In February of 2010, he tried to acquire then Kings shooting guard Kevin Martin in a deal that was expected to include Allen. Four months later, the Celtics were falling to the Lakers in a seven-game NBA Finals for the ages.

While front-office executives have not been able to talk to agents or players during the lockout, they could talk to each other about possible deals. No deals can actually be done until the collective bargaining agreement has been officially ratified, which is expected to take place in time to start training camp and free agency on Dec. 9. The regular season is expected to start on Christmas Day.

Paul addressed questions about his future at the Boys & Girls Club event in, of all places, New York on Tuesday.

"I try not to pay attention to all that different type of stuff," Paul told reporters. "My heart is in New Orleans and right now the reason I'm here in New York is for [Anthony].

"I know I'm just happy to be here and be a part of it, to give these boxes out to the needy families and then going over to the [Five-Star Basketball] Clinic and seeing the smiles on the kids' faces when we show up."

He would certainly put a smile on Ainge's face if he saw Boston as a worthy destination.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....paul.celtics/
                              sigpic

Comment

Facilities, player negotiations to open

MIAMI -- NBA arenas are about to be unlocked.

For the first time since the lockout began on July 1, NBA players are going to be welcomed back to their team facilities, said league spokesman Tim Frank. The league sent a memo to clubs Tuesday announcing the move, plus giving teams permission to begin speaking with agents at 9 a.m. Wednesday -- though deals cannot yet be offered, and no contracts can be signed before Dec. 9.

Teams may host "voluntary player workouts" and physicals. Training camps will not open until Dec. 9, and the regular season is expected to begin Christmas Day with marquee matchups, including a Miami-Dallas rematch of last season's NBA Finals.

A person familiar with the league's Christmas schedule told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the NBA will feature five games this year on Dec. 25 instead of the originally planned three. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the NBA does not plan to announce the Christmas lineup until later this week. The decision for the league to schedule five Christmas games was first reported by The New York Times.

It's not quite business-as-usual yet, but getting facilities open again is a huge boost for both teams and players.

Players will be allowed to use team facilities on Thursday for the first time since the owners locked them out on July 1. Since a new labor deal will not be in place, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that players will have to sign insurance waivers so that teams will not be liable if they are injured.

Teams will be allowed to provide a strength and conditioning coach as well as an athletic trainer and his staff, according to sources, but no coaches or general managers will be allowed to observe workouts and team staff are not permitted to conduct drills.

Though trainers and strength coaches are allowed to be present and assist players, they are not permitted on the floor to supervise or participate in on-court drills, a source told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

"The strength and conditioning coach is only allowed to work with them in the weight room," one GM told Bucher.

Players under contract, unsigned rookies and free agents are eligible to use the facilities, sources said. All players are free to use all facilities.

The league also said owners, general managers, and coaches are now free to comment publicly about things such as contracts, plans for future free agent signings, the team's prospects for the upcoming season, and other comments on typical topics. Teams have not been allowed to do that during the lockout and clubs were allowed to make contact with players only with league preapproval.

And they still can't talk about the league's collective bargaining agreement. At least, not yet.

Since the NBA and its players reached a tentative agreement on how to end the lockout early Saturday morning, neither side has known if workouts would be permitted before camps begin. Such informal workouts are customary, typically beginning 2-3 weeks before camp as players begin getting themselves into the best possible condition.

When NFL camps opened after that league's lockout earlier this year, a number of players -- it seemed more than usual, anyway -- were either injured in the preseason or rehabilitated from offseason surgeries at a slower pace than first anticipated.

One of the byproducts of the lockout is that it kept players from meeting with team physicians and trainers, as many had been used to for years, and teams tried to find the right balance between conditioning and protecting players from risking injury by doing too much too soon.

By opening at least a week before training camps formally begin, the NBA may be able to minimize those problems somewhat.

While most of the league's players have been working out on their own or in small groups for weeks anyway, many have said that little can replicate the experience of being at a true NBA facility, replete with training rooms, whirlpools, ice tubs and things of that nature.

Some players, including LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, spent time earlier this month at a makeshift training camp in Oregon in an effort to replicate the NBA workout environment.

"Anything you can do to get your body ready before training camp will help," Wade said at the time, before the tentative settlement was reached.

Allowing teams and agents to resume dialogue is also significant, since there are dozens of players who had contracts expire when last season ended and will try to either re-sign with their most recent teams or find new clubs.

Most NBA teams need to make several roster moves just to have enough players under contract for training camp, so having agents and club executives speaking now will clearly speed up that process.

Among the notable free agents available: Nene, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Crawford, David West, Shane Battier, Caron Butler, Grant Hill, Josh Howard and Samuel Dalembert.

The players and owners eventually came to agreement on the framework of a new 10-year collective bargaining deal, which either side may opt out of after six years. It leaves the NBA with its second shortened season (the first was the 50-game 1998-99 season), with the hope of getting in 66 games instead of a full 82-game schedule.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/72...ording-sources
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X