Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odg: ATP - RAFAEL NADAL

Day 13 - An interview with Rafael Nadal - Friday, June 6, 2008

Q. There seemed to be times today when the crowd went very, very quiet, because they were completely struck by the level of play, the shots that you were playing. They could hardly believe what they were seeing. Did you get that impression, that they were almost dismayed?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    No, I didn't think. For that, you have to think a lot during the match. No, I just focus on try to play good.

The level of the two first sets was very good today. Almost perfect. So happy about, well, how I am playing today, no? Best match at Roland Garros so far, no?
    Q. I mean, could you be in better form going into another Roland Garros final, do you think?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    What?

Q. Is it possible to be in better form than you are now going into another final here at Roland Garros?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Well, better than two first sets today is difficult, no? Because I play it very good. Always you can play better, but today I felt very good the ball with the forehand, with the backhand. I change the direction all the time with the forehand. Well, I was more inside the court, on court, than usually.

So I tell you, no? Today, I am very, very happy. Well, because it's difficult play like this, but it is more difficult play like this against one player like Djokovic, no?

Q. When you went up 3?Love in the third. Was it hard to keep your concentration?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    No. I played a very, very bad game in 3?0. I played a terrible game. Well, you know, it was decisive game, no? Probably a little bit nervous, because if I put the 4?0 I win the match.

I had some mistakes, 3?2, 15?40, I saved this game, 4?2. Well, the 5?3, 15?30 was the most important thing, no? Because I know I have to win the game returning, because after I go ?? I come back to the against wind.

Djokovic is a big returner and he was playing better, and I know if I go for the 5?4, going to be very tough match, very tough match for win, no?

Anyway, I have 30?15. He put one forehand to the line. After I play very good point, but finally I finish with bad dropshot and he break me. So he has set point later.

Well, it was tough mentally, because you have the match totally under control, and for some moment you see the match is complicate. Give me a little bit more calm I was two sets up, no? Well, if he wants to beat me he has to play two more sets like this, no?

Q. Can you talk about the tiebreaker? Because you fight off the set point, you go into the tiebreaker, and start very fast, playing incredibly well. Just talk about your mentality when you start the tiebreaker.

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Well, I analyze a little bit the situation, no? I was thinking for what reason I was playing unbelievable in the beginning? Well, two sets to Love, 3?0, and having all the time the control of the point.

Right now he's having control of the point in the last games of the third set. So just thinking about this, and I take the decision, no? I have to win the court. I have to go more inside another time, because they was more inside. I thought the only reason is because he's more inside than me right now.

I try to go inside. Before tiebreak I think, I going to win in this tiebreak or I'm going to lose this tiebreak, but I going to do the things, no? And the things were good today. I play very good forehands.

No. Today I didn't see no one. (laughter.)

Q. If Federer wins, you'll play him again. You've beaten him eight of nine times on clay, three times in a row here. Do you ever feel like you have to make adjustments to your own game against him on clay?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    I'll always play against Federer is special, no? It's different atmosphere. It's different, no? The tactic, well, is always a little bit different.

But anyway, try to play my game, no? I know for him I have to play my best level. If it's not like this I never going to win him, beat him. But I just going to try my best. That's the best tactic: play very well.

Q. On the set point, that forehand, you knew you had to really hit a big one then?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    What?

Q. Your set point against you, your forehand.

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Yeah, I remember.

Q. You really felt you had to hit a winner?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    The true? I didn't thought to hit the winner. The ball was winner, but he give me return, a little bit fast return, and I touch the ball fast. But I didn't thought about the winner before I touch the ball, no? Just tried to play a tough shot but safe shot.

Q. Safe?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    It was safe. Yes, the ball was winner, but two meters.

Q. Do you feel that this court is your home?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Well, is a special court for me, no? Unbelievable memory from this court. Always is a special feeling when I go to this court. When the court is full is really impressive. Is emotional for me every year when I come back here.

Just thanks very much everybody, because always the crowds are very respective with me. So thanks to organization, everything.

Q. Do you feel you can't lose on that court?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    I feel I can lose every time when I go to this court, so...

Q. When's the last time you've gotten very nervous here? Not a little bit nervous, but were really out playing and got really nervous where you had to take control of yourself.

RAFAEL NADAL:
    (From Spanish.) I am thinking. Well, a little bit against Mathieu first set, 2006 maybe it was. Against Grosjean with the problem with the crowd, 2005, I think. One set all break up, everything under control, and later was tough. No more times, I think. (laughter.)

THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions.

Q. It's kind of a routine for you to reach the final here. Were you having some fears with Djokovic, because in the Australian Open he played very well?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Well, I wish it was routine for me. Things would be easier for me, but it's not at all. Not at all. I'm very happy I reached the final. I played a great tournament, and I'm going to do everything I can to try and reach the summit. That would be my fourth victory in a row here, and that would be wonderful.

Maybe the way the match turned out today turned out easier than I expected, because I was not expecting to play at this level. I was sort of expecting him to ?? you know, it was difficult for me. I was very dominant on the court. I could throw the ball anywhere I wanted. I was dominating both on my forehand and backhand, and I didn't have to think that I could make mistakes. That was key.

And then Djokovic, you know, he is a great player, but his tennis was not as efficient as before. So things became more difficult for him. Despite the break in my favor, each time he had an opportunity he took it.

Q. After what happened today, you have no doubts we will have a Nadal/Federer final?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    We'll see. We'll see. That's going to be in a day and a half. It's going to be a different match. I will try and face history. Even if you're perfect, you have to wait and see what happens.

Q. On the third set you said you slowed down a bit, your level was probably going down a bit.

RAFAEL NADAL:
    No, no, I played a very bad game.

Q. Perhaps it's because you didn't play the way you would have liked it and the way you played during the second set, but don't you think he was also doing everything he could because that was his last opportunity?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    I was playing against one who had been the best player so far for this season. That's reality. So, you know, if you lose a bit of focus this is what happens. All of a sudden I started playing not as well, and then I had to think.

He had lost two sets. I started serving with the wind against me, so saved serve to come back to 3?3. At 5?3, 15?30 for me, then I returned with the wind against me. Facing such a guy, because he can return very well, I knew he could have a break ball at 5?4. I didn't play real bad, but he played slightly better at that stage.

Q. Have you had time to watch other matches during the tournament? Have you had time to watch Roger's matches? Have you had time to analyze them? Have you been impressed by anything? Do you think he's stepped up his game as compared to doubts he had at the beginning of this year?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    No. Well, you know, I don't watch tennis that much, you know. I like watching some matches, but I'm not keeping an eye on everything Federer does. I like playing him because it's just ?? it's just wonderful playing against him, but I've not analyzed his matches.

To be honest with you, I've not seen him play here very much. Maybe one match, perhaps. Yeah, the match against Benneteau. That's the one I saw. And what else can I say?

You know, I think he plays very well, but when you said he was not playing well, trust me, I couldn't see that. Okay. He had some problems, he suffered ?? he suffered an illness, glandular fever, and it's quite human to lose a match. He lost to Fish, to Radek, and to Djokovic in semifinal of the Australian Open.

But for the rest, I mean, he reached a very high level in each tournament he played. So this tournament here this year was a bit weird, a bit awkward. You know, he had some difficulties on some matches, more particularly with the one against Stepanek. It shows that things can be difficult for everybody, even for Federer.

But I think he has not played a bad match in many days and many months. He's been very robust on all the matches he played here, but it's also true he didn't have any difficult matches.

Q. What's the biggest danger for you in a match during, the final? And second, when did you have your toughest match against Federer?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Well, the big problem here when playing a final is your opponent. If I'm to play Federer, I know that this is the worst opponent you can have to fight against, because ?? well, he's been my opponent three times in a row, but he always was the most difficult opponent to defeat.

For your second question, the toughest match was in Rome in 2006.

Q. The court was very windy today?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Yes, more than the other days. You know, sometimes the wind creates some kind of whirlpools on the central court, and it's very difficult to play. That was the case today. At one stage...

Q. I thought you were almost desperate, because the same thing happened against Almagro the other day.

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Almagro? No, there was no wind.

Q. So I'm mistaken. But is it because you play a large number of matches on this court, or is it because it's the way you hit the ball?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    No, I don't think it has anything to do with the way I hit the ball. The way I hit the ball makes it possible for me to hit flatter balls against the wind, so it's easier to spin your ball.

You know, there are other players who could ?? like Agassi ?? that could play very well against the wind. They hit the ball very ?? with lots of power and moving their wrist.

Q. It is the fourth year in a row that you come here and sit here behind this desk. Do you feel more nervous than before?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    No, I'm very comfortable. I've always been very calm so far, and I think everything is the same. Nothing's changed, no? The only thing that has changed is I'm three years older. I'm 22. I'm no longer a young player, a young promising player. I'm not a promising player anymore. Too bad.

As for the rest, that's pretty much the same thing. Bit nervous before playing a final, as usual, because a final is always an important match to play.

Q. Toni said he was ready to accept a defeat tomorrow. He said would go to the beach.

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Yeah, he is going back Mallorca, whereas I'm going to play Queen's and then Wimbledon, so of course. Toni is going to play on the beach if he wants to; but when I walk on this court, I want to win.

I don't want to lose, but then anything can happen. Will I play again like today or like the one against Almagro? I know that I walk on the court and anything can happen, and I know it's going to be a pretty open match.

I don't want to think about losing, but I do accept the fact that this can happen.

Q. Coming back on your match today, you served very well. Sometimes aimed at Djokovic's weak points, but your serve was there when you needed it?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Yes, absolutely. My serve was very useful. I aimed at him directly on two occasions. You know, Djokovic is an amazing guy when it comes to returns, so you have to vary your shots quite a lot.

If you serve him in the same way all the time, he gets used to it, and then he returns in a very powerful way. But I was also disturbed by the wind.

Q. So given your opponent, what was the pleasure you had playing him?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    I was really focused on myself. I knew I was playing at very high level, and I knew that if I managed to maintain this level, well, of course, the other one could have won.

But the way I analyzed the match, I thought it would be difficult for him to come back if I could continue playing the tennis I was playing at that stage.

But having fun? No, not really. I knew that I was playing well, and I was happy about that. So if you want to call it having fun, then, yes, okay. But taking into account the fact that you always need to be ready for the next shot, I was very focused. I wanted to remain focused. I wanted to get in the court more, which is what I did. Except at one stage during the third set when I stopped doing it, but my obsession was to serve very hard.

Q. Toni said you would not modify your tactics against Djokovic, because so far it had worked quite well. Now it's Federer coming, reaching the final. You're probably not going to change anything to your tactics against Federer.

RAFAEL NADAL:
    Well, tennis is an easy sport. You don't need to change anything when you do things well. All you need to do is continue playing well.

If I start coming to the net and playing volleys, fine. But if I manage to serve along the lines and if I manage to serve ?? to play my long shots, everything's going to be fine. I'm not going to invent anything new for the final.

Things go well or things don't go well. They go well when you do what you know how to do. You sometimes modify the tactics because you adjust your passing shots or your backhand, but these are minor adjustments. Basically tennis is a very simple sport.

Q. The day before a final, is it a totally different day as compared to other days? For instance, will you have dinner in a restaurant? Will you be worried tonight thinking you have to play the final on Sunday? Will you eat this or that to feel fit on Sunday? Are you very relaxed? Are you more careful than other days?

RAFAEL NADAL:
    No, no, no, just every other day. If you are to eat something and you have difficulties digesting it, well, too bad. It's not going to change anything. I'm not going to start eating awkward things, anyway. (laughter.)

For instance, I'm not going to start eating things that might cause problems to my digestion. If you give me something to eat and eat and I'm sick tomorrow, trust me, you'll be in trouble. You start running fast. (laughter.)

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...767520524.html

Comment

Vamos Rafa

Comment

[quote author=Bella link=topic=474.msg24220#msg24220 date=1212764112]
        ^^^Eto ti ga sad, pa shto si partibrejker...aj nemoj bar danas i bar ne sada...sad je vreme da mi slavimo ...
        [/quote]

partibrejker ;D nisam! evo i ja cestitam Rafi delovao je Nole danas kao da ga je izvitlao tornado u vidu Nadala ali opet kazem We'll be back!! ;)

Comment

Majstorija!!!!!!!!!! ..Vamos po 4.trofej ..I hvala na cestitkama

Comment

Bravo Rafa svaka cast presrrecna sam, sledeci je Fedex,samo napred Vamos

Comment

cestitke

Comment

Svaka cast KRALJU Ajde da ne preterujem ali imam osecaj da otprilike petina ljudi u Srbiji navija za Nadala kad igra protiv Djokovica,sta da kazem osim LJUDI CAREVI STE ;D ;D ;D

Comment

cestitam rafistima na pobedi...zaista je na sljaci neprikosnoven :o
                  "Kada ljudi, pripadnici srpske nacionalnosti, navijaju protiv legende srpskog i svetskog tenisa, Srbina NOVAKA DJOKOVICA, zbog nekog Svajcarca ili Spanca koji veze sa Srbijom nemaju, takvu situaciju mozemo nazvati ni manje ni vise nego najobicnija PERVERZIJA!" - ja

Comment

Hvala svima jos jednom na cestitkama ..Pravi fer plej fanova!!

Comment

Hvala svima na cestitkama

A najvece cestitke Rafi za sjajne partije koje pruza i sto nam pruza zadovoljstvo da uzivamo u sjajnom tenisu.
                      Vamos po 4. titulu.

VAMOS RAFA!!! :-*

Comment

• Comment

[quote author=mr.gold link=topic=474.msg24211#msg24211 date=1212761478]
                          Cestitam Rafisti
                          Rafica je mnogo dobar na sljaci. Sta je sve u stanju da vrati, svaka mu cast.
                          Ali samo na sljaci
                          [/quote]

Ja sam ocekivala mnogo uzbudljiviji mec juce, Djokovicevu igru bar kao u Hamburgu.
                          Mozda je sad nekima jasnije zasto su rezultati ostalih Rafinih meceva takvi kakvi su

Goldi
                          tebi posebno hvala na cestitkama

Vamos Rafael !!!

Comment

Ko ce izdrzati do sutra? Aj mama mila! Mene vec sad hvata navijachka manija:

VAMOS RAFA!!!

Comment

[quote author=Bella link=topic=474.msg24333#msg24333 date=1212835976]
                              Ko ce izdrzati do sutra? Aj mama mila! Mene vec sad hvata navijachka manija:

VAMOS RAFA!!!
                              [/quote]

sta da kazemo mi koji jedva cekamo pocetak euro-a?

u potpunosti te razumem
                              Anaheim Ducks,Philadelphia Eagles,Orlando Magic,Crvena Zvezda,Liverpool,Valencija,Torino,KFC

Comment

[quote author=angelnfs4 link=topic=474.msg24317#msg24317 date=1212832337]

Goldi[/b] tebi posebno hvala na cestitkama

[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                                X