Datum registracije
    Moć reputacije

Odg: ATP - RAFAEL NADAL

[size=14pt]When his eyes turn black, youre a dead man
    [/size]
    PROFILE Rafael Nadal

The Sunday Times
    June 25, 2006

He has the guile of John McEnroe, the film star appeal of Ilie Nastase and the all-conquering promise of the young Boris Becker. Rafael Nadal is a handsome killer who threatens Roger Federers reign as the worlds top tennis player and tomorrow he will bring a dangerous crackle of electricity to Wimbledon.
    The Spaniard from Majorca turned 20 during the French Open earlier this month, retaining the title that he snatched last year when he became the first teenager to win a mens grand slam event since Pete Sampras took the US Open in 1990. Nadals victim in the final was Federer, the once invincible Swiss champion who now feels he is being stalked by his nemesis.

The All-England Club may be able to tone down Nadals pirate pants, garish shirts and bandanna, but not the war cry Rafa, Rafa from his growing army of fans. His admirers include McEnroe, who predicts that he will become one of the great players, and Tim Henman, who describes him as phenomenal. He has in buckets what most modern players lack charisma.

For Jimmy Connors, the Spaniards passion for the game is his pre-eminent quality. Like the American, Nadal is a left-hander with a lightning-fast top spin forehand, a reputation for never backing down and shark eyes that seem to turn black just before he tears his opponent to pieces.

The difference is that when Nadal steps off the court, the assassin reverts to a shy, self-effacing youth. I am a simple boy, he told The Sunday Times recently. I like simple things. I like being with my family. I like fishing in a boat.

Wimbledon will not be plain sailing. Although seeded number two to Federers number one, Nadal is a clay court player and painfully aware that he suffers from his compatriots standard handicap: the lack of rain in Spain, which makes grass a trickily unfamiliar surface. Wimbledon has been won by only one Spaniard, Manuel Santana in 1966.

Nadals best performance at Wimbledon was in 2003 when he reached the third round. Injury kept him away in 2004 and last year he suffered a second-round defeat.

He has acknowledged the problem: Im not going to win 60 consecutive matches on grass. I need to change a lot of my game and my mentality, too. Yet the grass of SW19 tantalises him: My tennis dream is to win Wimbledon. It would be a beautiful moment to have success there.

A question mark hangs over his fitness, as well. To gain experience on grass, he flew straight from Paris to London for the Stella Artois championships at Queens Club, but was forced to retire with a shoulder injury during his quarter-final match against Lleyton Hewitt, the eventual winner. His left arm, corded with muscle, had powered his 60-match winning streak on clay, but it finally gave out and prevented him serving. He immediately flew home to Majorca for treatment.

Nadal is a driven man, not least by his rivalry with Federer, whom he has beaten in six out of their seven encounters. Aficionados believe that Nadal has established the psychological edge. In Paris, the usually imperious Swiss looked anxious and flat-footed as his opponent fired forehand winners from improbable angles, targeting the increasingly errant Federer backhand. Nadal has him in his sights: He is a number one. He is there to be beaten.

Nadal owes his positive mental approach to the constant presence of his Uncle Toni, a former tennis professional who nurtured his skills from the age of three and remains his coach. I think that having my uncle and coach with me has been the best for me, he said. He is uncle first and coach second. It is a nicer life to travel round with your uncle there. My family cant come to all matches, but I always have my family there in my uncle.

His tight-knit family remains the most important thing in his life. My goal is to be happy, he reasoned. My family make me happy. It is my number one wish for them to be all healthy. It is an outlook endorsed by Uncle Toni: He works hard and he looks after people. Hes a nice boy. It is thanks to Toni that his protg never throws tantrums: he threatened to order his nephew off the court if he threw a racket or skied a ball in frustration.

Touchingly, this child-man still lives with three generations of his family under one roof in the Majorcan town of Manacor. His grandparents, Rafael and Isabel, are installed on the ground floor. The first floor is occupied by Uncle Toni, his wife and three daughters, and the second floor by his parents, Sebastian, the owner of a double-glazing factory, and Ana Maria. The top floor is the domain of Rafa and his younger sister, Maria Isabel.

He may be revered in Spain, but at home nothing has changed. He still goes out with his childhood friends on Friday nights and the locals treat him just the same. He likes to fish in the early morning, taking a boat out to sea and watching the sun rise. Why should it change? he asked.

Even the legions of girls who flock around the swashbuckling sensation have little appeal. Im not interested in that sort of girl, he told The Daily Telegraph recently. I would like to have a normal girlfriend, preferably from my home town, who doesnt look upon me as anything other than a boy who lives down the street. I would like to meet a girl with her own career, who doesnt want to change her life for mine.

As a young boy he disliked tennis, preferring football. That was my real love, he declared. For a while he wavered between the passions of Uncle Toni and Uncle Miguel, a footballer known as the Butcher of Barcelona who played for Spain in three World Cups and had a successful club career with Barcelona and Real Mallorca before retiring at the end of last season. From the age of three, Toni encouraged him to play tennis for fun alongside his football practice, but soon noticed his proficiency.
    When Nadal was eight and a promising striker for a local football team, he won the regional tennis championships for under- 12s. Then clubs began inviting him to play for them and, to improve his game, Uncle Toni encouraged his right-handed charge to play with his left hand.

He noticed that I was playing forehand shots with two hands, so one day he told me to try with one hand. I used my left foot in football, so I thought I should try that. I did. It worked.

By the age of 12 he had won the Spanish and European titles in his age group and was playing either tennis or football all the time. At which point his father made him choose between the two sports so that his school work did not suffer. I chose tennis. Football had to stop straight away.

From then on his life was structured around tennis: school from 9am until noon, tennis from 12pm to 2pm, lunch, school in the afternoon, then another two hours of tennis in the evening. At 14 the Spanish tennis federation urged him to leave Majorca to train in Barcelona, the centre of Spanish tennis, but his parents wanted him to continue his schooling and his father paid for his training at home.

Nadal was relieved: It didnt matter how many tournaments I could win, there werent enough in the world to make it worth living away from my family. The decision, most of his circle agree, was crucial to his emotional and physical trajectory. At 17 he was ranked in the worlds top 50.

Uncle Toni taught him to embrace losing, something that he hated as much as pain. My uncle keeps saying that losing is important in this game. If you play tennis, you lose thats how it is. Only one person can win every game in a tournament. No one man can win every tournament. The best players lose: everybody loses some time.

He must have been a terrible disappointment to his mentor: he kept winning. Last year he took 11 singles trophies, equal to Henmans total haul. He has netted 3.9m in winnings and about 10m in contracts and deals. Typically, he says that he has no idea how much he is worth, claiming: I have never played for money.

His goal is disarmingly simple: My ambition is to be a very normal guy. A very humble guy. To play tennis and to be the best. And when Im done, I just want to be at home with my family.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...1925_1,00.html

2. Your Google Adsense code here
    moya

Sada evo slika Rafine kuce i sobe. Rafa jos uvek zivi u istoj kuci u svom malom mestu Manacor na Maiorci, za razliku od NEKIH koji su pobegli u Monte Carlo i ostale egzoticne destinacije gde ce placati manji porez. Ti isti nam se kasnije predstavljaju kao najvece patriote.
    Ovo je jos jedan dokaz jednostavnosti i skromnosti ovog mladog momka koji je milioner ali je ostao isti. To su kvaliteti PRAVOG sampiona.

rafa-my love

Lepo si to rekao [b]moya. Rafa je ostao isti. A i slike su mnogo lepe! :-*

maximus

[quote author=moya link=topic=474.msg15791#msg15791 date=1201283977]
    Sada evo slika Rafine kuce i sobe. Rafa jos uvek zivi u istoj kuci u svom malom mestu Manacor na Maiorci, za razliku od NEKIH koji su pobegli u Monte Carlo i ostale egzoticne destinacije gde ce placati manji porez. Ti isti nam se kasnije predstavljaju kao najvece patriote.
    Ovo je jos jedan dokaz jednostavnosti i skromnosti ovog mladog momka koji je milioner ali je ostao isti. To su kvaliteti PRAVOG sampiona.

[/quote]
    Pretpostavljam da se ovdje treba procitati NOVAK DJOKOVIC?!Ne vidim nista lose u tome sto je prijavljen u Monte Carlu,pa i Ana je u Baselu,a nastupa za Srbiju i niko joj ne osporava patriotizam,zar ne?! ;)

moya

Nema nista lose ali ovde se uvek govori o nekom patriotizmu i bacaju se optuzbe na one koji ne navijaju za Novaka , ali necemo o tome ovde, mozemo na njegovoj temi. ;) Uostalom ne mislim samo na njega vec na mnoge. Danas je u stvari retkost teniser koji je ostao u istoj zemlji a kamoli kuci.

mr.gold

Pretpostavljam da se ovdje treba procitati NOVAK DJOKOVIC?!Ne vidim nista lose u tome sto je prijavljen u Monte Carlu,pa i Ana je u Baselu,a nastupa za Srbiju i niko joj ne osporava patriotizam,zar ne?! ;)
    Al vam ga je ...

maximus

[quote author=moya link=topic=474.msg15829#msg15829 date=1201297302]
    Nema nista lose ali ovde se uvek govori o nekom patriotizmu i bacaju se optuzbe na one koji ne navijaju za Novaka , ali necemo o tome ovde, mozemo na njegovoj temi. ;) Uostalom ne mislim samo na njega vec na mnoge. Danas je u stvari retkost teniser koji je ostao u istoj zemlji a kamoli kuci.
    [/quote]
    Ako zelis mozemo nastaviti i tamo,ali samo da ti ovdje odgovorim na ove "selidbe" tenisera iz gradova gdje su rodjeni.Po meni opet nista cudno,ides tamo gdje ti je bolje(citaj manji porez,ako zelis ;)).Da je rijetkost u svijetu tenisa da teniseri ostanu u svojim mjestima rodjenja,jeste,skidam kapu,ali mozda Nadal ima odredjene poreske olaksice ili ne znam ti ja sta vec,zato sto je ostao u rodnom gradu.Ono sto zelim da kazem je da je nebitno gdje ko zivi ukoliko on voli svoju zemlju,igra i nastupa za nju,pod njenom zastavom(mogao je i pod zastavom Monte Carla ili Francuske,isto tako).A drugi dio price o patriotizmu i odnosu prema ljudima kojima Djokovic nije drag iako je iz njihove zemlje mozemo nastaviti na topicu "Novak Djokovic". ;)

Cali Tee

Moya je rekao istinu....neki put istina boli, no?

rafa-my love

Da, moya je u pravu!

Datum registracije
    Moć reputacije

ne slaem se sa moyom, stvar li?nog izbora je gde ?e ko iveti u kakvoj ku?i ?e iveti, to je li?na stvar, da li ?e pla?ati porez tamo nema veze, nije bitno, tako da pri?a ne stoji... Kad bi u ovoj zemlji svi pla?ali porez i svi radili svoj posao a ne kao ve?ina kukala na svojom sudbinom i nita ne preduzimala moda bi iveli svi malo lepe i ne bi prebacilvali novaku zbog poreza, kad bi svi radili poteno, moda bi imali teniske centre, pune tribine na naim stadionima, ali toga nema.....
    Novak nije dobio NITA od ove drave,mogao je da predstavlja englesku a nije predstavlja prvo sebe a onda posle pored njega stoji i zastava Srbije i lepo je ?uti kad kau za nekog da je iz srbije, uspean srbin, to je za mene lepo kad ?ujem,..., kao i mnogi sportisti kao to su porodica Jani? ( pa sada uzimaju medalje za Ma?arsku i Hrvatsku samo zato to nai funkcioneri nisu im obezbedili jedan stan i malo normalnije uslove ), kao i mnogi mladi ljudi, studenti pre svega koji kod nas ne mogu da dobiju adekvatno znanje i da budu cenjeni sa tom diplomom svugde u svetu i ne mogu da budu u rangu sa svojim vrnjacima iz Austrije, Nema?ke, jer u ovoj zemlji nema sluha da se tim ljudima obezbede pravi i noramlni uslovi za njihov napredak.. tako da pri?a o patriotizmu na koji se vi pozivate je mnogo dublja stvar od poreza Novaka ?okovi?a.....

2008. SK Nfl.com Fantasy Champion

Big Ben

[quote author=moya link=topic=474.msg15791#msg15791 date=1201283977]

[/quote] Stvarno ste paljevine. :-\

moya

Slazem se patriota i veruj mi meni to uopste nije vazno, nek zivo ko gde hoce. Samo mi je ovo za Nadala bilo zanimljvo i hteo sam da postujem.
    On nema nikakve poreske olaksice zato sto je tamo ostao, jednostavno nekim ljudima nije sve u parama, koliko god to cudno zvucalo. :o :o

Datum registracije
    Moć reputacije

pa dobro. ?oveku je tamo najlepe, najprijatnije za ivot, ali ne treba upore?ivati sa onim to si ti rekao kao NEKI, jel ti NEKI i on kad su bili klinci nisu imali iste uslove.....samo na to skre?em panju..

2008. SK Nfl.com Fantasy Champion

Ana

Pa Nadal je tako divan i skroman... ...Obozavam ga...

Datum registracije
    Moć reputacije

[size=24pt]A hard man [/size]
    [size=12pt]
    Toni, Nadal's coach, fights against everyone who 'gilds the pill' for the tennis player because "nobody is special"
    [/size]

By JUAN JOS MATEO - Wimbledon - 02/07/2007

Rafael Nadal has learned everything from a hard man. The man in question was capable of controlling the rain and the sun at will, he could stop a match by the power of his mind, and he held bewitched the boy-player, to whom he had given a racquet "at the age of three or four" and all by himself eventually forged into a world famous tennis player. The world number two grew up "believing every piece of nonsense", listening with eyes like saucers to his Uncle Toni's stories, turning all the make believe into the truth and putting his uncle on a pedestal. These days, Toni is not just his trainer, he is his life coach, a kind of 'gur vital', as Joan Forcades, Rafa's physical preparer, defines him.

"I have always been a very tough trainer," explained Toni against the wind that was drying up Aorangi Park, Wimbledon's training courts. "I'm an exacting person. I don't like either gilding the pill or exaggerating things. There are ample motives for knowing I'm a hard man: we've always trained in a demanding way. I'm not the typical coach who says that his pupil is right. I'm more in the habit of saying he's never right on any topic, whether it's football or philosophy. It is a matter of principle."

Toni scorns many of the consequences of stardom. The trainer, who experienced at first hand the success of Bara's 'dream team', in which his brother Miguel ngel, played, is suspicious of the exaggerations that come with success. He is allergic to adulation.

"There are enough people in the habit of going over the top in the way they treat Rafa for me to add more of the same thing," he argued. "When you are successful, there are many who laugh at your jokes even though they're not funny. As I know this happens, I try to do the opposite - so that he keeps his feet on the ground and because that's how he should be treated. Although, if you don't keep your feet on the ground, it's because you're an idiot," he added. "Who is special? Nobody. Is Zapatero special? Of course not. What he does is special but if he stops being prime minister, he'll be a normal person, just as he was before.When Rafa stops playing tennis, he will be a very ordinary person. So it's better for him to get used to not everybody in the world giving in to him and saying he's right."

Nadal believes implicitly in Toni: "I can't think of being without him." When he was seven, he played against a boy of 12. "Don't worry," Toni ended up telling him, "if things are going badly, I'll make it rain". When the first raindrops began to fall, Rafa looked at his uncle and said:"I can beat him. Stop the rain". The child had good reasons for believing that he made everything possible: Uncle and nephew were watching a match on television. Ivan Lendl was leading. Toni criticised how badly he played. He said that he was going to concentrate his thoughts to make him have to stop playing... and Lendl retired on cue.

Of course Rafael did not know the match was a recorded one. "When he was small, he was a very innocent child," Toni recalled at Wimbledon yesterday. "He believed everything! But I did it so that we would have a good laugh, not to make him good at tennis. It had nothing to do with the tennis side," he pointed out. "Did this give him more confidence in me? No, quite the opposite. You say to yourself: 'my uncle believes all that nonsense?'." He went on, ** "He was the only nephew in the family. We treated him a bit like a toy: took him to the football, always did everything with him. As time goes by, I'm more his trainer than family. The professional side predominates."

"They don't have an uncle/nephew relationship, but rather one of respect from Rafa for Toni," says Manuel Santana; "Toni was able to convince (Carlos) Moy, a great player, to play with a child when it couldn't have been very enjoyable for him."

When Nadal picked up his first racquet, Toni was there with his legendary stories. Only one thing has changed since then: when Wimbledon is flooded out, Rafa no longer asks his uncle to stop the rain.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/depor...lpepidep_7/Tes

Strana 2 od 475 PrvaPrva 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... PoslednjaPoslednja

Oznake za ovu temu

Ovlašćenja postavljanja

• Vi ne možete postavljati nove teme
  • Vi ne možete postavljati odgovore
  • Vi ne možete postavljati priloge
  • Vi ne možete menjati vaše poruke
  •